Pole Beans in the garden...

fireduck(10a)April 2, 2014

I have been looking for "Blue Lake" pole beans at my local nurseries. I have found ALL vegetable plants except pole beans. Since I read that pole beans do not transplant well....do most folks sow seeds directly into garden instead of buying plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet(5 IN)

Yes. I've never heard of anyone buying the bean seedlings.
Just drop those bean seeds in the ground, and they do just fine.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:06PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

I see bean plants (6 packs) for sale and chuckle! For the $2 for a 6 pack, I can buy the seed for many many many more plants!
Actually I either save some or go to the local seed exchange and have them for free! Nancy

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 8:58PM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

I've seen both pea and bean seedlings for sale around here. There isn't any advantage to buying them though. Just direct seed them. They sprout and grow quickly.

Rodney

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 9:00PM
fireduck(10a)

OK...I will do what you guys say, and buy seeds. Sometimes the problem with being a crazy/obsessed gardener is: you can be very dialed in on some crops...but a rookie at another unrelated crop. Thanks for the heads up.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 9:35PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Home Depot and Lowes have them.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:11PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Pole bean transplants make sense under some circumstances, but not if you only intend to grow snap beans.

Bean transplants are helpful when:
- Growing beans for dry seed in a short-season area. They give you a cushion if weather prevents planting on time, and can increase the dry seed yield before frost.
- Growing limas or yardlong beans, if they are "iffy" in your area. This overcomes cool-soil germination issues, and gaining even a week or two can be the difference between success or failure.
- Planting old bean seed, since you can maintain perfect soil temperature, and make every plant count.

Transplants make absolutely no sense for bush beans, since the yield per plant is so low... unless you are way up North.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 12:19AM
catherinet(5 IN)

Gee.......I've never in my life seen bean seedlings for sale. Maybe that's because I'm not usually looking real early in the season at stores. And how quickly the seeds sprout can be pretty variable.....depending on the temp/rain, etc.
Hmmmm.........I'm really surprised there are bean seedlings.
I've found that waiting until the weather is a bit warmer and dryer makes up for lost time when planting them early.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:46AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

In some climates beans are regularly transplanted. If you have cool springs like us it isn't warm enough for beans to germinate until well into early Summer. So I start some beans early in my glazed porch. Then again some more a few weeks later and finally some direct outside. This means that the beans are a range of ages and we don't get a glut coming all at once.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:34AM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

My comment about beans sprouting quickly was made assuming that they are being planted in warm soil and that fairly fresh seed was being used (as in 1 to 3 years old).

Rodney

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
tomatoes
What's your favorite?
sweetgardenangel
Problem Peas - germination
Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting peas...
Steve Kind
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Area Rug: Veranda Chocolate/Aqua 6.58' x 9.5'
Home Depot
TRL4 Aluminum Pathlyte
Lightology
Vondom | Pillow Pot Illuminated
YLiving.com
Kayu Dining Table
Design Within Reach
Garden Party | Boletus Outdoor
YLighting