Help! need some ideas

JankosJune 5, 2013

We are doing some volunteer work at a non-profit daycare center this weekend. See pic of the front of building that needs work. I have several more pics. The area is on the south side of the building with plenty of sun. Zone 5 West Michigan. It is around 70ft in length and around 25-30 ft from building to parking lot, with a big slope starting around 15 ft from building. We were thinking taking out the plants along the building and starting from scratch putting mulch down and planting a mix of shrubs/perenials, and a couple small trees (we have a owner of a garden center willing to donate plants..). Any ideas would be appreciated, it is in bad shape (weedy grass).
Thank You

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mike Larkin

Once it is completed who will care for the plants? That might impact how much is going to be planted and what plants selected. Also It may be good to ask what the garden center owner what he is willing to donate.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 10:01PM
Jankos

There are volunteers at the center that will take care of the plants, we also may have to do a volunteer day a couple times a year. We definitely need lower maintenance plants/shrubs.Here is another pic.. The garden center told us to put in a request, anything they can't provide could also be purchased, we have a $500 budget as well..

Thanks

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 6:51AM
yardvaark

Here are some suggestions that re-use the Iris and Liriope. Once plants are installed, it's important that they are weeded regularly during the establishment period ... especially perennials as it's difficult to eradicate weeds from them after they've gotten a foothold. Mulches will help, but weeds need to be eradicated first.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 8:16AM
Jankos

I like the idea to move around the existing plants...Do you think it would be a good idea to create a bed along the stairs and up around the concrete walkout as well? Is there a shrub you would reccomend to plant with the Iris/Liriope. Also - what tree would you reccomend, something smaller that flowers, maybe dogwood or redbuds? Thanks!

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 9:07AM
yardvaark

I would only create a bed along the steps IF it was a low (less than 8" ht.,) tough groundcover with a bed width matching the upper landing. Know that installing a groundcover where there were formerly weeds requires diligence in making sure that weeds do not return. If they do, then the work is in vain.

I would not plant a shrub WITH the Iris/Liriope ... but only INSTEAD of it or in that alternate place I mentioned.

Usually, with these volunteer & charity situations, there is limited variety of plants available. Once you know what's available, pick what you know to be good or post a question about it here.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
Help with small retaining wall
I am starting to landscape my yard and am having trouble...
jminternelia
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Paddle Stripe Cotton Dhurrie
Serena & Lily
Arteriors Home - Walker Lamp - 46779-782
Great Furniture Deal
Flood Lights. 600 Lumen 160 Degree Outdoor Motion Activated Solar Powered Black
$94.99 | Home Depot
Bulova Wentworth Mantel Clock - B2025
$262.50 | Hayneedle
Empire Scrolls Rug 9'6" x 13'6" - BLACK
$2,919.00 | Horchow
Black Single-ring 30-inch Backless Counter Swivel Stool with Black Vinyl Cushion
Overstock.com
Chrome Kitchen Faucet
Overstock.com
Thermocast Kitchen Wyndham Drop-in Acrylic 33x22x9.25 5-Hole Double Bowl
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™