Cuke Leaves Wilting/Drying Out

amillionand1August 4, 2011

I decided to try my hand at vegetable container gardening earlier this year, but my cucumber plants leaves are drying up and wilting. I water at least once a day, usually because I go outside in the afternoon to find my plant limp and sagging. After I water it, within 30 minutes, the leaves and vines perk up, but the leaves closer to the bottom of each vine are drying up. I recently removed several dead leaves from the bottom of each vine, and now the *new* bottom leaves are drying up. I live in the Dallas area, which has recently turned into an oven with 33 days (and counting!) at 100+ degrees.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? Am I over watering? Could the roots be getting too hot in their pots? Is the triple digit heat just killing them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
valentinetbear(z6 PA)

Yeah, your triple digit streak is making news across the nation. Lucky, lucky you. ;)

It probably doesn't do them any good, but it's also possible it's Powdery Mildew. I know, sounds dumb, but it's really a soil-born fungus that spreads by air. Do a little googling on it, and see if you can find pictures to see if it looks familiar to you. I know cukes, squash, and lilac are particularly suseptible.

If that's it, at least you don't have to treat the leaves in the middle of the day. In the evening, which really isn't any better than the middle of the day, but at least you're out of straight down sun. And, since you're also in the middle of a mean drought, you won't have to repeat as often as usual. ("Repeat treatment every three weeoks or whenever it rains.")

And, yes. If you're beginning to wonder, there will be a day when Dallas goes back to cooler weather. Promise. I can't make the same guarantee about your drought, but I'm pretty sure that will end too, eventually.

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 12:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

need more imfo, its guessing. what size container,soil, fert, sun, etc. (pictures)

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™