suggestions for trees on parking strip

purdydirtyJune 22, 2006

My neighbor across the street has a cherry and a thundercloud plumb planted in the parking strip. They are both dying. The parking strip is basicly gravel with a little bit of dirt instead of the other way around, but I see that there are other trees planted further down the street in the same parking strip. Anyway... full days sunshine, horrible soil, want a tree that isnt likely to grow over 20ft (power lines) but that will have a wide canopy. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vicki_ca(Sunset 14, US9)

This forum is provided for the discussion of the technical and aesthetic issues involved in landscape and garden DESIGN.

Please ask your question on the TREES forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees Forum

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 8:58PM
laag(z6CapeCod)

Trees in parking strips have no aesthetic issues?

Why do I wonder about the flight of the design professionals that used to be here?

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 10:15PM
tibs(5/6 OH)

The parking strip is probably contolled by the city of Portland which I think has a very strict tree planting and removal program. Call the city or get on their website and see what you can or can do in the parking strip.

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 10:16PM
vicki_ca(Sunset 14, US9)

:-) Of course they do, Andrew, but I didn't see a landscape design question in the opening post. Did you? I didn't mean to be offensive. It just seemed to me that the Trees forum was a better place to ask the question, which is not to say or imply that members of this forum couldn't offer good suggestions too.

From the start page of the Trees Forum:
This forum is meant for the discussion of trees--how to grow them, recommendations for selections, sources for plants, etc.

If you are implying that I have contributed to the flight of design professionals from this forum, I must say that surprises me. I think if you read over my posts about the design pros here, I have repeatedly been supportive of them and expressed my gratitude for what I have learned from them. I had not idea I was stepping on your toes.

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 10:38PM
zenzone

Purdydirty,
If you are still checking this thread, I'd like to suggest that you contact Friends of Trees (Portland). They helped a friend of mine select some nice parrotia persica trees for her curb planting strip and they offered help getting the trees planted and checked back to make sure they were doing well. Let us know what you end up with!

zz

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 11:42PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If the decline is coming on now, neighbor's trees probably just need to be watered. Wilting would be a definite hint.

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
Landscape design assistance
Hello, Our home is in Connecticut (Zone 6A) and we've...
stook1
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
scary house help
Trying to help someone with this- yipes. I'm thinking...
hightide102
Sponsored Products
Almost Autumn Dominant Autumn Wood Silver Nine-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Sunnydaze Ancient Cascading Bowls Outdoor Fountain, 33 Inch Tall
SerenityHealth
Area Rug: Shelley Ivory 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Spinner Vase
$25.99 | Dot & Bo
Martinique Beach Outdoor Daybed
Grandin Road