Does anyone age/compost their own pine bark fines?

acg85August 10, 2014

Hi all,

From my plunge into Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention and associated threads, I recall an old post - which I just cannot find again - explicitly mentioned something like taking pine bark, adding high-nitrogen fertilizer, and leaving it over the winter to have aged-pine-fines in the spring.

If it sounds familiar, can anyone provide detail? Perhaps some water and aeration might help too? Left outdoors in weather, or indoors OK, also?

Assuming that procedure would work, wonder if the (in my area) more commonly available 2" bark nuggets would break down enough to be ready to use in a classic version of 5-1-1.

Thanks.

PS I do understand that many here have mentioned they successfully and routinely use uncomposted bark in 5-1-1.

This post was edited by acg85 on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 22:37

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_yard_guy(6A)

Yes you can compost/age your pine bark but I'm not sure about using the big pb nuggets for this. I recall reading similar posts after I bought some bags of fresh but wet pb recently. I asked if they would break down over the winter. The answer was pb stored in a garage would not begin to compost. To make the compost process happen I would store the pb outside all fall/winter so that moisture and microorganisms could start breaking down the bark.

With the small pb I'm sure this would work but those big 2 or 3" pieces would take a very long time to break down. I have garden beds full of chunky pb and they remain in big pieces for many years.

TYG

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
acg85

Thanks for the info, and for sharing your experience with the bigger bark pieces. Good to know.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
pine straw instead of pine bark fines?
Dear folks According to the 5-1-1 mix I should use...
ItsJorgen
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
511 mix
I'm having a hard time understanding the 511 mix.I...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™