container gardening

InfromthecoldAugust 16, 2013

Moved here from MN August 2012 have redone our front courtyard & it is doing well. My problem is a small patio about 6x16 on north side of house...it gets morning & late afternoon sun. I cannot seem to keep hanging baskets or annuals in containers alive. I have to hand water. I would like to try more container gardening there but not sure what to try. I saw a picture of containers with succulents that was attractive Are some better than others for containers? We are in a townhouse in Sun City so cannot expand. thanks for any ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Succulents are wonderful for container plantings! I grow a selection myself and prefer them in containers, simply because they don't appreciate our wet and sometimes too cold winters. In containers, I can just schlepp them indoors or into a more protected setting. Doubt you would need to worry much about that in Las Vegas, however.

Pretty much any succulent can be grown in containers....just keep in mind some get big and therefore often very heavy and others can develop serious weaponry in the way of thorns or sharp, dagger-like points. Look for a very durable and fast draining soil mix, like Al's gritty mix or comparable cactus mix. These also tend to be pretty lightweight, which is a help. And most succs have rather shallow root systems as well, so big pots not always needed (although tall is often great for staging and overall aesthetics).

I'd consider a visit to your local independent garden center and see what they have in stock. Likely they will have some pre-planted containers you can use for inspiration but they will certainly have a section of appropriate plants. And I would not necessarily limit it to only succulents. There are lots of very drought and heat tolerant plants suited to containers. It's just that most annuals or typical hanging basket plants are not :-)

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:59PM
fireduck(10a)

I...good advice above. Well-draining soil is most important. However, the exception is hanging baskets. Because of their design...they dry out much quicker.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 10:44AM
Infromthecold

thanks for info on soil for succulents

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™