'sure crop' strawberry bed question

howelbama(7 NJ)April 10, 2012

Hi,

I installed a bed of roughly 100 sure crop strawberries (they're June bearers) last october.

They over wintered well and are starting to grow, but with the unseasonably warm temps we have been having, they have started to put out buds. The plants are still rather small and I think I should pinch off the flowers until they grow out a few more weeks.

Should I just leave them be? Will they flower again this season if I do pinch them? I would like to see some what of a crop this year, though I know there production will be better in theory next year....

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barrie2m_

You planted too late last year and didn't get enough "Daughter" plants formed from that intended planting. You could pinch off the blossoms but that will mean you get no crop this year rather than delay the crop a few weeks.

I'd base my decision on what other things you have done. Did you mulch the bed? Have you planted those plants close enough that runner formation is a lesser issue? In either case you will have a smaller yield that next year but you have many choices. I'd tend to harvest the "Firstfruits" and then if the crop doesn't look real promising snap off all the remaining green fruit and blossoms and stimulate earlier runner development for the remainder of the summer/fall.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 11:10PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

bmoser,

thanks for the reply. I did plant them closely... they are in a sfg with 4 per square. So, runner formation is prob not an issue. After planting, I let them take root and grow for about a month, then mulched them over for the winter. I removed the mulch about a month and a half ago as we have had a very mild winter and spring.

I was thinking I would just let them set fruit and see what I get, I just dont want to ruin,any potential for a nice big crop next season...

Thanks again!

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 12:54PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

bump... any other thoughts?

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 1:08PM
rayinpenn(6)

Id leave them alone.. Mine have are flowering nicely.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 1:11PM
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

Leave the buds and flowers and provide frost protection if cold temperatures come. Removing flowers now will remove this year's crop. June bearers will not kick in with more flowers a few weeks later.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 4:24AM
jtillerman

I have several hundred plants I started several years ago. I never picked off blooms but got almost nothing the first year but the second year was awesome. As far as fall planting it has been my experience that spring is the best way to establish a nice bed for year 2 . Good luck your second year will make it all seem worth it.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
mealybugs and leaf miners
How do you control mealy bugs and leaf miners on leafy...
kyrri
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Placement of soaker hoses
Hi everyone :) I just started a new veg patch. I made...
mystmaiden
Problem Peas - germination
Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting peas...
Steve Kind
Looking for Artichoke Plant Enthusiasts
I have eight years experience growing artichoke plants...
Pond Plant Girl
Sponsored Products
Heath Blue Natural 18 x 18 Geometric Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Climbing Vine Pink 5 Light Chandelier with Pink Clear Crystal Beads
$188.10 | Bellacor
Furniture of America Mission Style Twin over Full Bunk Bed - IDF-BK602F-EXP
$729.98 | Hayneedle
Fatboy (PRODUCT)RED Special Edition Original Bean Bag by Fatboy
$149.00 | Lumens
SoHo Bed by Copeland Furniture
$2,803.00 | Lumens