how do you trellis yard long beans?

zzackey(8b GA)April 10, 2012

I have some yard long beans that I want to start soon from seeds. How do you trellis yours? Can I train them to go up the side of the tress and then down the other side?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

I wonder what you mean about training them to go up the side of trees. Do you mean live trees or do you mean saplings cut down and used to make tripods? I would not advise training beans on lrees. They will not grow well in shade or among roots of a tree.

I make a free-standing trellis about seven feet tall, which is about as high as I can reach for harvesting. The bean stalks will grow taller that that and just flop over the top and hang down, which is fine.

See the link below for trellis ideas.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Bean Trellises

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 8:30PM
defrost49

We use 10' long concrete reinforcing mesh leftover from a construction project. It's very rigid. First my husband pounds steel stakes in ground. Then, while I hold the panel is place, he attached the panel to the steel stakes in two places with heavy duty zip ties.

We can leave these up all winter. The yard long beans seem to do fine.I think the panels are 5' high.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 2:44PM
denninmi(8a)

I use 8-9 foot bamboo poles with the side branches left on, and insert them in a double row t form an "A" shape (well, an inverted "V" because there is nothing to link them together in the center).

Works great, because the side branches on the bamboo gives plenty of place for the vines to twist around.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 3:04PM
zzackey(8b GA)

Thanks for your advice! I will try and find some tall bamboo stakes.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Who is gardening right now? Show me pictures
I spent my day in the garden. My turnips and kale made...
katy_bug
hand pollinate broccolini?
Thanks to you guys, I realized that I bought Broccoli...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™