WANTED: wanted: giant hog weed

miketropicDecember 1, 2012

This is considered invasive in most places so no one should care if you take some and send it my way. The plant is very dangerous so if your not familiar with it please leave it alone. Anyone who knows where to get one and can send it this way please contact me here or by email. I deal with alot of tropicals/large foliage so I can trade those.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Apparently, it is illegal to trade or give away this plant or its seeds:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110925190931AAbcLC2

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant Hogweed information

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 4:25PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

There is additional information at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA-Giant Hogweed

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:17AM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

It seems castor beans now illegal to sell of trade now...doesnt seem to slow anyone on ebay down

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 5:01AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

It seems castor beans now illegal to sell of trade now
I don't think that is so, as I can't find anything on the net stating that it is illegal to sell the seeds, or grow the seeds or plants anywhere in the US.

What is the source of your statement?

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 10:36AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Castor Bean Plant Laws - General Law

The United States restricts the possession or use of ricin since it is a potential weapon of biological terrorism. According to the 2002 Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness Act, possessing, using or transferring ricin is prohibited.

There are no federal regulations restricting the possession of castor bean plants. According to a 2004 Congressional Research Service Report, castor bean plants and seeds are "openly sold" in the United States.

There are, however, some states or cities (such as Hayward, Calif.) which have banned the castor bean plant.

Prohibited by the City of Hayward

Hayward, Calif. prohibits the possession of the castor bean plant, seeds or beans. According to Chapter 3, article 7 of the municipal code, it is illegal to knowingly plant the castor bean, to nurture any castor bean plant or to keep castor beans or seeds within the City.

Anyone possessing the plant or seeds will receive a notice and must remove the plant, seeds and beans from his property within 48 hours. Refusal or failure to do so may result in police action.

Exceptions

According to section 3-7.02, anyone engaged in verifiable scientific or research activities may qualify as an exception to the law. In this instance, the exception allows for display of the castor bean plant in a botanical collection.

Additional provisions mandate that the area in which castor bean plants are grown be enclosed and/or inaccessible to prevent small children from entering. The exceptions also allow for the possession of castor bean plants or seeds for retail/wholesale sales purposes, but mandates that the plants or seeds are kept in securely sealed containers with clearly legible labels indicating the plant's poisonous nature.

Violation

The violation of Hayward's castor bean plant restriction will be considered dangerous to public health, hazardous to the City's population and a public nuisance.

Section 3-7.06 gives the city's Chief of Police the authority to investigate the violation, notify the offending person and enforce the law. This may result in forcible removal of the plant and possible fines.

Source: http://www.ehow.com/list_6585940_castor-bean-plant-laws.html

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 11:47AM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

nice job clearing that up for all of us!

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
ISO: Chocolate Mint starter
Looking for a small chocolate mint starter plant. Thank...
smithylove
want alpine strawberry white or yellow seeds
want alpine strawberry seeds yellow or white plz have...
mychineseauntie11
HAVE: Raspberry & Blackberry bareroot to a good home
I need to clear an area that is covered with healthy...
tomato345
Wanted: Rooted fig cutting or cuttings
Well, I guess this past harsh winter did my fig plants...
plantsforever
Sponsored Products
Personalized Pet Bowl Holder - K
$250.00 | Horchow
Duet Flat Sheet
$160.00 | FRONTGATE
Siskal Red Modern Cube Ottoman (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Paradise Beige Rectangle: 5 Ft. x 8 Rug
$399.00 | Bellacor
ORE International Lamps 84 in. Brushed Steel Arch Silver Floor Lamp 3031F5W
Home Depot
Calhoun Sofa - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Clear Well Light by Troy Lighting
$110.00 | Lumens
Orange & Blue Juniper Rug
$29.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for: