cat pee'd in veggie planter...will it kill me? ;-)

Lynn NevinsApril 15, 2012

So this is my first foray into veggie gardening. I put some seeds in a large planter and set it on the floor of my patio only caught my cat too late...he climbed on up and pee'd in the pot. (Now I know I have to keep the planter elevated!)

Anyway, I immediately flushed the soil with water. I guess a little cat pee isn't gonna 'kill me' right...once the veggies sprout and I eat them? I imagine there are probably plenty of farm-grown veggies that were er....'fertilized' by various animals no? ;-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Will it kill you? No. Will it even hurt you? No. Are there plenty of farm grown veggies that are fertilized by various animals? You betcha. :)

Dave

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 8:57PM
Edymnion(7a)

Yes, it will kill you unless you preform a purification ritual on it. The ritual will require the following items to complete:

1 large steel soup pot
3 large potatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 butcher's knife
The cat that peed in your veggies

Prepare for the ritual by placing the chopped veggies and water in the pot to boil, then take the cat...

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 10:32PM
Lynn Nevins

ok that was cute....

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 11:06PM
emgardener

I've heard some people pee in the their vegetable pots themselves, cheap fertilizer.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 1:04AM
elisa_z5

My dog pees in my garden and on the plants all the time. His job as garden guard dog requires this (keeps deer away). It also requires that he eat all the baby bunnies that are in nests in the garden in the early spring.

My garden guard dog (this is my first try posting a photo -- hope it works!!!)

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 1:25AM
stuffradio

Wish I had a dog that could pick beans for me!

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 2:46AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Don't Eat The Yellow Dirt!

(if anyone likes Zappa)

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 9:16AM
ltilton

Nitrogen.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 9:26AM
RpR_(3-4)

Urine is sterile.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 1:41PM
elisa_z5

stuffradio -- LOL!
He doesn't pick beans, but he does eat weeds, and he somehow knows which are the beds and which are the paths. And he closes doors with his nose if you ask him to.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 2:06AM
thimbleberry

My cat peed in some of my raised beds all winter and now none of my seeds will grow in it. There was a cloche over it and the cat found a way in and used it as a litter box all winter :(. Put spinach and lettuce in a month ago and not a single sprout while the same seeds grow well elsewhere. Wondering what to do, just water the heck out of it?

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 9:40PM
Robbie3(6a)

I love that this is a thread about a cat peeing in a planter and there is a picture of a guard dog.

SO cute!

LOVE the doggie! My Great Danes are useless. Scared of chipmunks. But their pee is worth its weight in gold for repelling critters.

But no, the pee won't hurt you. :)

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 8:37AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Thimbleberry unless you talking about a really small raised bed or your cat is peeing pre-emergent weed killer the two things are probably not related. So what sized raised bed is this?

But yeah, IF the problem was caused by cat rather than 50 other possibilities then just turn the soil well and flush the bed out.

You don't indicate where you live but in some parts of the country leaving a soil bed fully enclosed in a clothe of some type all winter can cause all sorts of pathological bacterial and fungal growth in the soil.

Dave

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 12:30PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

If it is an unneutered Tom they can kill off small plants and cause brown patches on established shrubs. Not to mention the smell.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 4:47PM
chas045(7b)

The only problem with the cat urine is that it might be concentrated in one spot and over fertilize that one area. I used to work in a microbiology lab and the chief used to take a few chrystals of urea from the lab and sprinkle them on the house plants he had growing there. The plants looked great.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™