need some ideas - bee unfriendly plants

gardengal48June 7, 2011

I have a design project in the works for clients with a bee-allergic dog. If it were the clients themselves that were allergic, I wouldn't have as many concerns, but dogs will chase and snap at bees so I really have to reduce the number of plants that are likely to attract them.

I do have a pretty good list going - conifers and other wind pollinated trees, winter flowering plants (too early for bees), ornamental grasses (which the clients don't care for!), a few perennials and herbs, but I'd really like to increase my selection of shrubs, both deciduous and evergreen. I know that those with small urn-shaped blossoms and those with long tubular flowers are less inclined to be visited by bees but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trovesoftrilliums(5)

I was just looking through the Fine Gardening website and they had an article on bee-free pool landscaping. I remembered your post here.

Good luck with the design.

Here is a link that might be useful: fine gardening article

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 11:33PM
gonativegal(zone 5a)

You mentioned grasses, I can't see how they would object to something so colorful as Japanese Forest Grass 'Aureola' or some of the Japanese Sedges such as C. elata 'Bowles Golden', or C. morrowii 'Ice Dance'. I like Carex glauca too for it's steel blue color.

Tellima grandiflora, Heucheras, Heucherellas, Tiarella, Variegated Solomon's Seal, P. humile, P. biflorum, Pulmonaria - the flowers are so tiny on all of these but many are variegated or just have interesting shapes and texture or all three. Lots of Ferns - Japanese Painted, Ghost Fern. Also comes to mind some of the gingers like European, Asian and Canadian and Mayapple. The flowers sit tucked underneathe the plants.

I am jealous as some of these selections would languish here in the Midwest; others do very well but all would look spectacular in your part of the country.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 10:22PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

I see bumble bees on lots of urn-shaped flowers.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Coordinating Trees with Neighbors
Anyone think about how to coordinate front yard trees...
edlincoln
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™