Need small tree suggestion for my huge brick wall. (PICS)

cosmo_kramer(Nac, TX Z8)June 18, 2010

I need to get this side of my house landscaped and I'm not sure what I should do here. I'm thinking I need a small tree or very tall columnar shrub for the center of the wall. I really would like to have a crape myrtle in that spot, but am also considering an emerald green arbovite, or blue point juniper. I'm hoping to get some suggestions for the entire wall, so have at it. This is a west facing wall and it is pretty much in full sun for most of the afternoon. The front of the house has indian hawthorns, sky pencils on the corners, and a white spirea on the left corner. I purchased a medium sized tuscarora crape myrtle to plant in the center of the wall, about 7 ft out, but found out the tag was incorrect on the mature size of the tree. It claimed to be 12-15 ft tall and wide, but it turns out that this one gets about twice that size. Here is a link to my album. Its the left hand side of the house. Just copy and paste into your browser.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjennings79/House?authkey=Gv1sRgCKq73pyg2eOI4AE#5484309594956373410

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bjennings79/House?authkey=Gv1sRgCKq73pyg2eOI4AE#5484309594956373410

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 11:24PM
cosmo_kramer(Nac, TX Z8)

Thanks a lot. Wasn't sure how to make an actual link of it.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 11:26PM
tibs(5/6 OH)

Windows. Not meaning to sound like a smarta$$, but if you don't have near neighbors on that side and it is not all closets or something on the inside, I would add windows. Looks like you have a houseplan for a zero lot setback style subdivision, but are on a bigger lot. Other than that, trellis with a vine. Or esplanade trees (and I know I spelled that wrong), where the trees are trained flat to the wall. Don't have plant suggestions, not familiar with what grows well in your part of the country.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Where can I find buyers for these large boulders?
Hi we are thinking to re-landscape our yard. The previous...
fggirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™