Earthtainer Cost Saving Ideas?

J.PinterSeptember 18, 2011

I'm thinking about building some earthtainers for the spring, but the cost of building one from all new materials had me looking for some ideas about making them cheaper and possibly sturdier.

I'm thinking I could reduce the cost by not cutting apart another rubber tote to make the 'base' and supports that hold the soil above the reservoir, which seems like a potential potential point of failure. I like the idea of using short sections of PVC pipe or conduit stood on their end as supports for the soil platform, but I'm not sure what to use as the platform itself.

At first I thought about galvanized steel for the 'base' since it's pretty resilient while still being easy to fabricate with the power tools I have available, but I worry about zinc leeching in constant contact with the reservoir.

Have you been down this road before? Do you have any ideas? I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

Use 5 gallon buckets. Mother Earth News has a good article on how to do it. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother Earth News

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 7:30AM
J.Pinter

wertach, Thanks for that link! Reading it now, looks like that might be just what I'm looking for.

Slightly off topic: Has anybody had reasonable success growing watermelon in containers? I was thinking about giving 'Moon & Stars' a shot when spring rolls around, but the info I've found seems kind of inconclusive about how practical it is.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 8:12AM
terrybull

high density polyethylene (HDPE) is what i use for the soil bench. and you can grow watermelon in a swc.
this is one of my (motherbox). first year in the experimental stages.
pumpkin plant two months ago.

pumpkin three weeks ago.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 8:32AM
J.Pinter

terrybull, That pumpkin is amazing!

Do you find your HDPE anywhere special?

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 8:59AM
terrybull

i got mine from farmtek and i used 1/4 inch thick. you could get by with 1/8 inch for a smaller container. there are alot of other places that sell it in smaller sheets. just do a search. farmtek calls it polymax.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 11:05AM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

You could usw a tin can with both ends cut out in place of the PVC to holr the bench

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 6:01PM
rwsacto

"but I'm not sure what to use as the platform itself"

Do a further search for self watering containers or SWC.

You can cut out most of the lid center to fit in the container and support it on 5-6 lengths of 3" diameter pvc. This will make a single wall SWC. There are several other successfull variations using one container and the lid.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 1:33AM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™