Ideas for a roundabout

charliegirl78July 14, 2008

We have purchased 3 acres of raw farm land and have made a very large driveway which comes to the house with a very large (horizontal) tear shaped parking pad. Right now its all gravel but we are stumped on what to make the centre portion of the parking area out of. FWIW, we plan on laying out moke material in the shape/size we think we will work before purchasing the materials but right now I'm looking for creative ideas like, recycled tires (husband won't have it), rail ties, hedges (cotonasters). Landscape stones like a retaining wall scare me due to the damage it would cause any vehicle should it be bumped, scratched or hit.

Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
get_creative

Hi, Charliegirl

If I understand you right, you've got a circular driveway and want to do something creative with the center.

If that's the case, what about a tree with wildflowers around it and some split rail fence? Of course, the fence would only work if you've got it elsewhere on your property, but it could be very nice. It would also prevent cars from 'cutting the corners' of your driveway.

...wildflowers in WI -- brown-eyed susans, bergamot, milkweed, etc.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 9:45PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Tall, ornamental grasses (that are billowy like love grass) are along one side of the island in our paved parking area. They are tall enough for drivers to see when backing out. If they hit the grasses, nothing is damaged. The grasses are pretty flexible and since we cut them back every year, there's no harm done if someone really ran them down (hasn't happened). Then, we have a mix of shrubs, and perennials behind the grasses.

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 1:19PM
cynandjon(Z 5/6)

How about a nice shade tree with a bench under it. A path to it through a cottage style garden. Maybe a little water feature.

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™