Adding Water Soluble Fertilizer to SWC

greenthumb2011September 6, 2011

I started my first SWC (Self Water Container) garden on my patio this year and it has been doing quite well thus far. The question I have is does any one else add any fertilizer to the water chamber when filling? I have just started to add 1/2 strength once a week for the past 2 weeks and it seems to be giving good results.(Every 4 days I add 2 gallons of water to the resivoir in my 30 gallon containers) If you do how much do you add and how often?

Thanks for the Help Happy Growing

P.S.- I will be posting an over view of my garden experience this year shortly if you want to check it out I just want to take some new pictures.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I have my tomatoes in a SWC this year. They are doing well, using 2 gallons of water a day. When planting I put a cup of timed release fertilizer in the mix, the type claimed to last up to 9 months, 18-6-12. Because I have some fertilizer made in stick form to be used in a "root fertilizer tool" which I threw away years ago, I am dropping one stick a month down the filler pipe. I am not sure it is helping, but it has not hurt. Al

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 9:45AM
terrybull

i do it all the time but it is for the micro nutrients. my fert strip only has the NPK.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 10:09AM
emgardener

When I had SWCs, I added FP to the water reservoir whenever the leaves looked like they needed a hit. Worked well.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 2:03PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I originally put so much dang fertilizer (about 1.5 cups)in my tomato (Rutgers) 5 gal SWC, I couldn't see adding ANY to the water. I used MG Shake and Feed originally which had some micros in it. The thing grew like crazy, and was darker green than any other plant I grew in the ground or container. It also flowered and fruited really well.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 7:55PM
emgardener

"darker green than any other plant ... flowered and fruited really well"

Yes. Some books say if you put in too much nitrogen fertilizer it will stunt the fruiting. I have never, ever seen this. The greener the leaves the more fruit has always been my experience.

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™