Container media for overwintering

ngrrsn(7)September 20, 2012

For the past several years I have brought in about 100 geraniums, 25 peppers, and assorted other plants in the fall to winter over until I could put them back out next spring. I re-potted them into 2 gal and 3 gal black plastic nursery pots. For media I have used garden soil, potting soil, and even a product called "nursery mix" that seemed to have a lot of sand in it. But in all cases the containers (media) stays too wet, air doesn't get to the roots, the soil compacts, and I get soil gnats. Cutting down on watering doesn't help. With a little light, the geraniums actually bloomed and peppers tried producing fruit, so heat and light and air movement in my garage are o.k....but I have problems with the media.

I thought about using saw dust, but a nursery guy said it would compact like press-board. I thought about a mix of bark and potting soil, but was told this is not a good idea (don't know why). I am on a limited budget. Any recommendations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Here I use a lot of "#1 Nursery Mix" which is available by the yard for about $50. It is mostly course sand, with bark and pumice stone. It comes with a PH of 6.5 and a fertilizer with a life at 70 degrees of about 3 to 4 months. I think this is the least expensive mix, ready to use, and drains well, without compaction problems. Al

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 10:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

One word: Perlite. I mix a LOT of it my soil mixes. I never use potting SOIL, use potting MIX, it's lighter. I always add Perlite to it to improve drainage and aeration for the roots.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
Strawberries came back! Now what?!?
Last summer I planted some Sequoia strawberries in...
vp_78
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Sponsored Products
Dark Brown Swindon TV Stand
$124.99 | zulily
Gervin Loveseat - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
New Tribal Geometric Persian Balouch Runner 3x9 Hand Knotted Blue Wool Rug P933
BH Sun Inc
Vantage Shower Set With Lever Handle
Signature Hardware
BioBags Replacement Composting Liners for Kitchen Pails - BIOBAG50
$19.99 | Hayneedle