Raising onion plants

heirloomer08(4 IA)January 14, 2010

Hi all, In past years I have always bought my onion plants. This year I was wanting to start my own from seed, inside of course. I am from NW Iowa and my planting time outside is sometime during the month of May. With that being said how early should my plants be started indoors to have hearty enough plants to move to the garden in May. I have never started my onion plants before. Although, I have started all of my other garden plants every year. Are there any tricks to getting onions started good? Any and all ideas would be greatly apprecitated!

Thanks, heirloomer08

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi Heirloomer,

I'm surprised no one has replied by now.

I did a search over at The Winter Sowing Forum, and it brought up several threads with onion in them.

If you don't find what you are looking for, you might also ask there about growing onions from seed. You might mention the name of the seed you have and if you were wanting to grow green onions or onions for dry storage, or maybe both.

Sue

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 5:50PM
heirloomer08(4 IA)

thanks Sue, I'll check it out. I am going to grow mostly for dry storage.
heirloomer08

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 8:37AM
kathy645(4 VT)

There also appear to be some knowledgeable people in the Allium forum. I didn't do a search of that forum, but did see this thread. If I didn't do the link right, it's still on the first page of the allium forum. (I should spend some time in the test forum learning links and pics.) I will be interested in your experiences. I'd try seed myself except we're planning a month-long trip east in April and I don't think I could find anyone willing to baby seedlings for that long. Ah well, maybe next year.
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: some ?'s about starting onions indoors

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 2:58AM
More Discussions
HAVE 10 Key Lime Seeds to TRADE
I decided I do not have the patience, space or interest...
rubyhum
HAVE: Newbie Seed Project 2015! packs available
the generous donations keep coming in. Right now, I...
bakemom_gw
Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 5
Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 5 we came from here: Adopt-A-Newbie...
leila hamaya
HAVE : Different backgrounds and improved viewing of this site!
some of us gw webbers have been creating different...
leila hamaya
Good news! Trade lists are back!
If you check someone's profile page, you will see a...
Tamara
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™