Comparing coir and peat

tired_of_digging(z10)September 9, 2013

I've heard some negative opinion about coir compared to peat. I buy a mix of coir and peat from a local company and the results are good. Did anyone use a mix of coir and peat before? How you compare it to pure coir?

Here is the original article: http://scienceofnature.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article& id=73:coconut&catid=83:daves-blog&Itemid=476

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I think the article you linked to makes it pretty clear that there are many potential problems with coir. And there is a wide variability in quality. I clicked through to the full text article, and I didn't see any reason to consider using coir. I haven't conducted any scientific studies, but many years ago I used coir in large containers and coco chips in growing orchids and seedlings. I wasn't happy with the coir because it made the runoff from large pots red. All my orchids and seedlings died in coco chips. I don't know what brand I used, but I heard from others that it hadn't been thoroughly cleaned of sea salt. I will never risk using coconut products again.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™