One large container with multiple plants coming out of the side

Damien____September 16, 2011

Hello all,

I have this idea for a container garden consisting of one container. I'd like to turn this into "The Salsa Machine" hahah. Here is a drawing:

This is a top view and a side view. The large container is a 32 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck trashcan. The smaller circles represent 2 liter soda bottles with the tops and bottoms cut off.

Would it be possible to fill this thing with soil and grow onions at the top of the trashcan, pepper plants out of the top pots/holes, tomatoes in the second tier of holes and then misc. herbs in the bottom tier?

I would find a way to have the tomatoes staked / trellised. I could also stagger the pots/holes to help with lighting.

Provided everything was draining well enough and if I went organic with the nutrients do you think that this is something that could be accomplished?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I'm pretty sure you'll be well short of the soil volume needed for such an ambitious undertaking.

Al

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 4:01PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

As Al stated, I dont tgink you would have enough soil volume for all those plants. There would be too much competition for root space, they may do ok for a while but I think they would eventually choke each other out, leading to disease and pest problems. Maybe a square foot approach would be better if space is your concern.

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 5:05PM
Damien____

Thank you both for your replies!

Maybe a square foot approach would be better if space is your concern.

There are no concerns here. This is strictly for fun / experimentation. Strict fun. . . Not sure how that will work either. ;)

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 5:27PM
rockguy(7a)

I think all that might be ok if you give the tomatoes their own container. All the rest could do good in this one, especially if you keep to small pepper plants.

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
511 mix
I'm having a hard time understanding the 511 mix.I...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™