20 3' X 4' old posts-what would you do with them?

Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)February 24, 2010

I just called about 20 3" X 4" posts listed on Freecycle and the offerer is to return my call (assuming I was lucky enough to be the first one to respond).

I'm thinking setting several of them in a row and growing vines on them, ie morning glories, sweet peas, cardinal vine, sort of an annual living privacy fence.

Maybe build a really nice compost structure with 2 or 3 separate bins?

Maybe build some sort of a structure to contain my 'good' mulch when I buy it by the truckload? The existing one isn't big enough and is pretty haphazard and shoddy built with various sized concrete blocks.

hmmm...I just remembered I have a bunch of old salvaged fence boards stored in a friend's old chicken house. Oh my the possibilities are endless.

What would you make or do with some free posts and wood?

Oh...then too I could maybe make a big coldframe...or raised beds? Score!

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbiep_gw

I've been using my fence post for old roses to grow on,the climbing rose.Some I will put wooden slats/small pieces of boards across the pole so many ft apart to help it climb,another I plan to just tie the canes to the pole and let it drape down when it reaches the top.I might put a bird house on top.It sounds like a great find.
Debbie

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 11:11AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Oh Debbie, that is something I had not thought about and even have some great new roses I got in some trades in a holding bed that really need to get moved out this year.

Well the offerer finally returned my call Thurs PM after I I had almost given up hope of getting them, thinking someone beat me to them. I went to pick them up yesterday PM, and there must be 50 of them! I got about 1/2 or more on my little truck and will go back today to get the rest of them. With 50 of them, I can use them for numerous projects.

Whoo-Hoo! Come on Spring.

Sue

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 6:51AM
mikey-gardener(6a,6b, kcmo)

depending on how long those were and the condition they was in there would be numerous usages for me in the flower beds as well as the vegetable beds. Nice size to build a mini green house out of with shelves. That way I could start my seed earlier and if I had a warmer place to put the mini greenhouse, I would even put wheels on it so where I could roll it inside and out

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Want: Sorrel Have: Thai holy Basil for trade
I love to trade Sorrel, Large Leaf or any type of Sorrel...
pat44th
Traders -> Now ANYONE can message you!
Go to https://www.houzz.com/editProfile Edit Profile...
phylis
Looking for all size/types of sunflowers that I don't have
Please look at my want list for sunflowers and hope...
bluee19
Good news! Trade lists are back!
If you check someone's profile page, you will see a...
Tamara
Wanted: Bush cucumber variety
I was hoping to find a type of cucumber I could plant...
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™