Arapaho Blackberry in Container

kaysquared(7)September 5, 2011

Hello Everyone! I am new to this site. I am so happy that I found it as I can see that there is a wealth of information here.

I am growing a blackberry bush in a container. I purchased it as a small twig plant (sorry if I am not using the proper terms)at the beginning of summer. For the most part, it looks pretty healthy and strong however the plant is growing sideways and trailing down the side of the pot. The Arapaho blackberry bush is supposed to grow without staking right? It says that it does not require support which is why I decided to plant this particular variety. It worries me because I have only a small space in which to garden and I am not sure the branches will survive laying on the concrete of my driveway.

So my question is this - do I need to cut back the bush in order to get it to grow upright? Did I possibly buy the wrong bush? Any information offered on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of my blackberry bush

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
groem(6)

Well I don't have experience with the arapaho variety, and only 1 year with the triple crown, black satin and boysenberry. Your picture looks more like my boysenberry, which is a trailing plant. lots of thin shoots that drape. Both my triple crown and black satin have grown one thick upright cane in their first year. So I would say you do not have an arapaho, must be some kind of trailing variety.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 10:41AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Mine are true trailing types. I train them in an arch that will fruit next year. After fruiting that arch will be removed and another will be started already at a 90 degree angle to the prior year. Works very well.

Get some bamboo stakes and start training yours up. In a year or two the right system will be clear.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 9:39PM
delaware(Z7 DE)

Fruitnut, I'm anxiously awaiting my shipment of Arapho blackberries. I really love your arch idea but I'm not sure how to reproduce it. I'm unclear about starting another arch at a 90 degree angle. Could you explain that part a little further, please?

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 9:29PM
arkberry(8b)

I very much like the look of the plant on the arch and would love to know more specifics about your process. Also what size pot is it and what planting medium.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™