Potted mint (newbie question)

tadhg555September 6, 2011

Last spring I bought a nice Persian mint that I placed in a mid-sized pot. It grew like gangbusters -- so much so that it became leggy and not nearly as attractive. The roots have also taken over the entire pot.

Here's my question - what, if anything, can I do to manage this fast-growing beast and keep it looking healthy and "bushy"? Should I cut it back, divide it, remove some roots, or another option?

Sorry if this is Gardening 101 but this seems like a good resource.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

The worst thing I have ever planted is mint. When it goes to seed you will have mints growing everywhere, including your neighbors. If you have to have it, keep cutting it back so it does not seed. Put your cuttings in your garbage so they do not spout and grow where ever they hit the soil. Many of my pots I must regularly weed to remove mint. Al

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 9:27AM
emgardener

Mints the best thing I ever planted! (smile) It's easy to grow, almost impossible to kill (maybe if you stopped watering for a month?). It easily reproduces and spreads as calistoga mentions, which is why a pot is a good place for it.

I'd just cut it back and it will look fine. No need to fuss with root dividing,...

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 10:43PM
ykerzner(9 TX)

I repot my mints each year. Three-gallon containers are adequate for most mints. Cutting it back regularly is your best bet to keep it nice. When repotting, select several of the healthiest roots, plant them horizontally under half-an-inch of soil, and dispose of everything else. They'll grow back in no time.

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 11:53PM
tadhg555

Thanks, guys - I'll be sure to watch plant this so it doesn't leap its bounds and take over our yard!

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™