Just thought I'd share an update :)

kissingfrogs2003September 10, 2011

To thank all of you for your help with my new venture into veggie container gardening, I thought I would share a photo update!!

My little herb garden (with dillx2, sage, thyme, catnip, parsley, and basil seedlings):

Oregano seedlings:

Basil:

Rosemary:

Corn:

Envy Soybeans aka. Edamame (including my first harvest from today):

Windowsill Roma Tomatoes:

Red Robin Tomatoes:

Sparkler Radishes (only one has given food so far):

Baby Finger Carrots:

Strawberries:

I hope this inspires others to get into container gardening!

Any tips/advce/insight based on the photos?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ima_digger

Where do you live, that you have them outside now? Here in central FL we start planting usually by the end of the month. I still have parsley that was grown from seed last year, putting out leaves. My basil is about finished, It's getting woody, so I'll start again maybe in October. i have three bags of basil in freezer for pesto. My rosemary is growing very slowly. It was started from seeds back in Apri.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 11:08AM
kissingfrogs2003

I am in southern illinois. My basil is on its way out as well but i have more seedlings in the works. The basil and rosemary actually traveled cross country from California about 2 months ago. Hearty little guys...

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 4:23PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

The plants all appear to be suffering from the soil mix. Thin, slightly pale growth.
The strawberries and the radish look good, though!

Josh

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 11:05AM
kissingfrogs2003

oh interesting...never heard that feedback before!

Everything is planted in the following: http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod70262&itemId=cat50154

with this fertilized added as appropriate:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100026341/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

How should I remedy the problem? I can't really afford a major overhaul of all the potting (soil is expensive) but if there are cheap tricks to help I am open to it. Otherwise I'll take the suggestions into acocunt when I pot again :)

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 11:48AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yikes!

Not only Miracle Grow....but Moisture Control!
That stuff holds an excessive amount of moisture, which leads to poor root development
and overall plant stress.

The only trick I can think of right now is to use a wick from the bottom of the drainhole.
This will allow excess water to drain down the wick, lowering the perched water in the pot.

Next year, I'd recommend a mix of bark (or appropriate mulch), perlite, and a small portion
of peat (or potting mix). This will give you the drainage AND the water retention you want.

I haven't used that particular fertilizer, but I'd go with something that offers nutrients in
the ratio that plants most closely use those nutrients: a 3-1-2 ratio.

Josh

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 12:24PM
kissingfrogs2003

when you say wick...do you mean like a thin piece of rope hanging out of the bottom of the plant? I think I can manage that :)

I started with the MG MC soil (and have had the best success with that versus others) because I water them all on the same day and until water runs out the bottom...i know some need more or less than that but I cant tell who needs what! I figure the MC helps me with what I over or under water :)

you have been so helpful...any other advice?

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
511 mix
I'm having a hard time understanding the 511 mix.I...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™