Veggies in garden boxes !

AneesiaApril 17, 2013

I have two 4 By 8 by 8" high garden boxes and would like to know if I can plant blue lake beans in it and cabbages. I already have spinach, bunch onions, radishes, and dwarf carrots to put in. Anything else that you might suggest for this time of year that you have successfully planted? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veggiecanner(Id 5/6)

Yes on the beans, and lettuces from seed or plants would work.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 11:20AM
lelia(Northern Cal)

I have four 5'x10' boxes terraced into a hill. I've grown all kinds of beans in the boxes, as well as tomatoes, cucumbers, squashes, peppers, eggplants, carrots, leeks, lettuces, herbs, peas, cabbages, kale, you-name-it.

I find the boxes offer an advantage with certain vegetables, although some of that is because they are terraced, with one side about waist high. With beans, for example, I sow the seed fairly densely, use no trellising, even for pole beans, and get a nice dense mat of beans climbing all over themselves at a perfect height for harvesting.

Planting big leafy vegetables like zucchini is pretty cool because I can easily peek underneath and admire the whole other world under the leaves that looks like a veggie wonderland.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 3:23PM
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

I have three 4x8 beds, and two 5x16 beds, and a long "u" shaped bed around the perimeter of the garden. I have grown pole and bush beans in the beds and they have done very well. Bush beans can be succession planted by planting again as soon as the other is done. With pole beans you should be able to plant things around their base that dont get too big.
Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: My beans in raised beds

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™