germination test

helenh(z6 SW MO)February 23, 2009

I have some coneflower seeds that are from my garden. I put them in a wet paper towel; they did not sprout. I think they may need to be outside in the cold for a while. How do you test germination for seeds that may take a while to germinate? I would not send these seeds to anyone; do others test germination?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

In searching a bit I see that coneflowers do indeed need stratification.

do others test germination?
No, I just do my best at letting the seeds or seed pods mature, brown and split if they are the splitting kind of seed pods. I then harvest them and let them dry additionally before packing them for storage in a cool, dry, dark place.

If seeds are properly harvested, they 'should' be fine. It is kind of a crap-shoot though when trading as some members maybe aren't as knowledgeable as others are about the proper maturing and drying of seeds.

The Seed Saving Forum is a great place to learn about harvesting seeds at the appropriate time. Remy is our resident expert there fielding a lot of the questions with good info.

hth...sorry, don't know how to really test them when needing stratification. If they were harvested properly, they should be fine. If you Winter Sow them, you would then later know for sure if they are viable or not.

hth

Sue

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 3:48PM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

Define coneflowers - rudbeckia, echinacea, ratibida?

Growing from seed is a grand experiment. Try them and see what happens. I have heard of nothing from these three that would suggest seeds aren't ready when they are loose from the heads.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 8:11PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I have ratabida pinnata and rudbeckia subtomentosa.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 10:22PM
harold100(7)

Some seeds need to go thru a winter cycle. If you are not ready to plant them yet, just put them in a freezer for 3 weeks and they will be ready come spring. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 11:23PM
More Discussions
Lots of seeds to trade
I normally do trades of 15-20 seeds, so if you want...
slm2118
HAVE : Different backgrounds and improved viewing of this site!
some of us gw webbers have been creating different...
leila hamaya
HAVE: Seeds! Seeds! Seeds!
I've adding many new seeds to my trading list within...
EricaBraun
Requests for Houzz
Houzz, Please fix your app for smartphones to allow...
kchd
Have: Fr Marigolds, Grandpa Ott
Have French marigolds multicolored Queen Sofia, Grandpa...
gardenlover77. zn6 NY
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™