Heavy Shade Area Around Deck, No Ideas..

ukbradc(6)July 26, 2012

Can anyone help me with shrub\plant ideas to spruce up this deck area at a rental property I just purchased? The entire area gets shade for pretty much the whole day from a large water maple tree located near the deck. I would like to make it look nice with a minimum investment. Any ideas for plants that tolerate almost total shade would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Brad

Louisville, KY

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

I know you're asking about shrubs that will survive the conditions, but I think you're getting the cart before the horse. Tree canopies are like ceilings. How low or high they are has a tremendous impact on the feel of the overall space. Contrast what it feels like to walk into a mobile home home with a 7' ceiling vs. into a cathedral with a 60' ceiling. Obviously, there are other factors that contribute to a difference in feeling, but the ceiling height itself is a principle factor. Low hanging limbs and branches produce a claustrophobic feeling. If their shade is dark it feels gloomy. Keep in mind that whatever height limbs of trees are today, next month and next year the branches they support will be lower... sometimes by several feet depending on the weight of a year's growth. If a limb is almost at the point that it is too low and will need to be removed, then in a relatively short time it will be there. Why not anticipate it and just get rid of it while it is a little smaller and less work then it will be the following year? Limbing up the trees would not only make the yard feel and look better, it would help in expanding what is able to grow back there. A 4' x 4' concrete landing at the bottom of the steps would be nicer for renters to have than the first shrub. With the nice looking lattice skirting at the deck, it doesn't seem than you need to cover it up. A low groundcover or even a tidy mulch bed flanking the deck would be sufficient.

Plant suggestions are A) Nandina domestica B) Hydrangea macrophylla. Some Impatiens at each side of the steps would help doll it up for showing.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 12:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ukbradc(6)

Thanks for the advice! I have had the tree trimmed since that picture was taken, however, it is 60-70 feet high, and still shades the area pretty good, along with other water maples located in nearby yards!

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Sponsored Products
Uttermost Cilento Wall Art
Beyond Stores
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Bahama Weave 34 in. Red Castango Outdoor Table Lamp
Home Depot
Deep Glow Path & Landscape Lights Green Underwater Light for Salt or Fresh
Home Depot
Spring Swings Fun Ride Super Z Zip Line - 30-05000
$149.49 | Hayneedle
Williamsburg Antique Brass 22 Light Chandelier
$999.90 | Bellacor
Mia Pewter Ceiling Fan with 52-Inch Standard Reversible Dark Coffee/Dark Oak Bla
$214.20 | Bellacor
Vetraio 6-Light Chandelier by Uttermost
$657.80 | Lumens
British Colonial Round Outdoor Dining Table with Chairs Cover
$199.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™