A tip for Great Lakes gardeners

terry_neoh(5b)April 26, 2014

If you can't check your soil temperature, and are wondering when is a good time to plant certain vegetables, you can check the surface temperature of the lake nearest to you.

My father-in-law (bless his soul) would wait until Lake Erie was 50F before planting his field corn. I try to wait until 55F before planting tomatoes and peppers. This is not a predictor of frost, but some things just won't grow until the ground is warm enough.

As you can see in the link, Lake Erie is only about 40 now.
-Terry

Here is a link that might be useful: Surface temperatures

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Slimy_Okra(2b)

I think Lake Superior is an exception; it stays under 40 degrees F until late June most years.

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 11:59PM
glib(5.5)

Lake Erie is the exception because it is so shallow. Well, Lake Superior is an exception too, because it is still 70% frozen.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 11:21AM
terry_neoh(5b)

Just to be clear, I am referring to surface temperature. The link can be used to find any area of any Great Lake. Western OH/Eastern IN is a world center for tomato culture. Minnesota is not.

Here is a link that might be useful: pick your lake

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 8:15PM
glib(5.5)

The old way to plant tomatoes was "when the lilacs bloom". Good also if you live away from the Great Lakes. I have already planted two, and will cover with a plastic tent in case of need. The other 28 when the lilacs bloom.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 10:49PM
Jonagold

Or you can just google soil temperature map and find your current local temps, The one I use in Illinois is updated daily.

Here is a link that might be useful: Illinois state water survey - soil information

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 9:40PM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

The thing about Lake Superior, though, is the immense water volume. Water is densest at 4 degrees C (39 degrees F), with the density decreasing both below and above this temperature. So as the ice-cold water warms, it sinks, bringing colder (

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Unforecasted late frost
I'm pretty much a newbie. I transplanted a yellow...
Katie Gooding
pepper problems
Hey everyone! My pepper blossoms are falling off! I...
Ankjlkhu Bkjjghfy
Planting where dog used to poop
We haven't had a god in two years. Is it okay to plant...
Theresa24
tomatoes
What's your favorite?
sweetgardenangel
good weed fighters
Am looking for ideas to fight off weeds. Currently...
sepulvd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™