preparing for autumn

terratoma(7a)September 14, 2013

With temps beginning to drop here in the foothills, I'm about to experience my first fall season with Japanese maples in containers. I'd appreciate advice/suggestions regarding any changes that should be made regarding watering, fertilizing, exposure to sun, etc as we get into the cooler months. .
gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

You may want to ask in the trees forum?

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 6:23AM
terratoma(7a)

Thanks for responding Drew.
I've always asked questions about the care of all my plants (perennials, annuals and small trees) that I am growing in containers on this forum. And I recall (can't locate them) several threads last fall that addressed steps to take to reduce sun exposure and protect plants in containers against the dropping temps in the fall/winter.
I'd like to get some advice as to when to move these small trees in containers to the north side of the house. (I read that this should be done but need to know when to do it! :o)
But I have no idea regarding changes to be made with feeding and watering. I'm assuming fertilizing (I use Foliage Pro) should be stopped. But when do I stop it?
I'm also thinking that I should continue watering during the fall and winter using the same schedule I follow in the summer:( water only when the ingredients are only slightly damp).But I'm just guessing.
As you can see, these are simply my assumptions. I'd appreciate it if could get advice on these subjects.
gary

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 2:03AM
terratoma(7a)

Thanks for responding Drew.
I've always asked questions about the care of all my plants (perennials, annuals and small trees) that I am growing in containers on this forum. And I recall (can't locate them) several threads last fall that addressed steps to take to reduce sun exposure and protect plants in containers against the dropping temps in the fall/winter.
I'd like to get some advice as to when to move these small trees in containers to the north side of the house. (I read that this should be done but need to know when to do it! :o)
But I have no idea regarding changes to be made with feeding and watering. I'm assuming fertilizing (I use Foliage Pro) should be stopped. But when do I stop it?
I'm also thinking that I should continue watering during the fall and winter using the same schedule I follow in the summer:( water only when the ingredients are only slightly damp).But I'm just guessing.
As you can see, these are simply my assumptions. I'd appreciate it if could get advice on these subjects.
gary

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 2:10AM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™