Dame's rocket seed concerns

perennialfan273(zone 5)March 9, 2009

Hello

This past Christmas season, I received two different packets of seeds in a round robin exchange labelled as "hesperis matronalis". Now, normally, I'd be thrilled to get extras, but there's a problem: the seeds don't look the same. I have to know what real dame's rocket seeds look like.

Also, my other concern is what color the flowers will be. In pictures of dame's rocket I have seen, sometimes the flowers are pink and sometime's they're white. How do I know which color mine will be? Is there more than one type of dame's rocket?? I'm just so confused now.

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this seed mystery. Please e-mail me at someguy00273952@yahoo.com or just post here if you have any information.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaynine

there's no way to tell what color they will be. they are usually either purple or white. see link below for pic of seeds of hesperis matronalis.

Here is a link that might be useful: dame's rocket

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 12:38AM
poisondartfrog

If you happened to get a packet with my name on it, they were collected from both white and lavender. My plan was to harvest only white, but I strayed into the lavender section without realizing it until it was too late. I believe I did label mine as having both colors.

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 7:22AM
SusanC(9b/10a Sunset 17)

Here's an excellent pic of the seeds to help you decide which is the right one. For what it's worth, I once grew the white and purple in a bed together and thought they looked very showy that way.

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
thanks mcc371
OK this is for mcc371 , i could not figure out your...
tergrov
Anyone have these tomato seeds? I can trade with veggies/flower seeds
Anyone have these tomato seeds? Yellow Canary Red Robin Elfin Sprite Patio...
bluee19
Will anyone have fresh hellebore seeds soon?
Hi everybody, I'd like to trade for some fresh Hellebore...
vaflowernut
Search Trade Lists
Any ideas how we search all trade lists for a specific...
shanon_
Looking for all size/types of sunflowers that I don't have
Please look at my want list for sunflowers and hope...
bluee19
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™