Can I whine here for a minute?

decohouse(6b-7)March 20, 2009

I am new to gardening, so every little seed is precious. Last year several people from a couple other boards sent seed to me and I was a good girl - I put them all in the fridge so I could plant them this year. The fridge in the garage.

Well, hubby took it upon himself to put the box in the crisper drawer. Well, guess what? The fridge leaked something into the drawer, and when I got them out tonight the ones that were in paper envelopes (about 1/2 a shoebox worth) were wet and moldy! Do you know how many seeds there are in 1/2 a shoe box? I could cry!

The ones that were in little plastic ziplock bags look to be dry and fine.

Gardening is a continuous learning experience. What did I learn from this? I know, when I start collecting seeds to trade, they will be going in little plastic bags - even though they are a little more costly than making my own bags! lol.

Have a great day everyone - and thanks for listening to me whine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvsgrtdanes

I often wonder why people keep seeds in the fridge...I always think there will be too much moisture. I only keep the seeds that definitely need cold stratification in there...Anyway if you are in need of seeds I can send you a bunch for postage.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 10:05AM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

This makes no sense. Only certain seeds need to be cold stratified and they need mositure. My seeds sit on my desk.

Girl, head over to winter sowing. We will help you. Post, and tell them Bakemom sent you. See what happens.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 11:21AM
decohouse(6b-7)

Ladies, I appreciate you!
I saw a church sign just yesterday that said:
GOOD DECISIONS ARE BASED ON EXPERIENCE. EXPERIENCE IS EARNED BY BAD DECISIONS.
This might be a perfect example of that. lol. I read that to keep seeds fresh that couldn't be planted right away - put them in fridge.

Bookmark   March 21, 2009 at 11:07AM
jaynine

dried seeds--optimum storage=in an airtight container in a cool, dark, dry place; possibly the basement, garage or refrigerator. (I read somewhere that storing seeds near apples is a bad idea, but I can't remember why.) well-dried seeds can even be kept (in an airtight container) in the freezer for longer storage.

Bookmark   March 21, 2009 at 6:54PM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

How has it gone so far? LOL!

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 12:40PM
jaynine

it's always been that way.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
Using bubble envelopes
Please, please, please, use bubble envelopes when shipping...
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
HAVE 10 Key Lime Seeds to TRADE
I decided I do not have the patience, space or interest...
rubyhum
Search Trade Lists
Any ideas how we search all trade lists for a specific...
shanon_
organizing your seeds
Ok. Another question from this newby. How do you oldtimer...
gardenmom2
omphalodes cappadocia 'Starry Eyes "
Would like to receive this lovely plant's seeds if...
Patty57
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™