Spring 2010 Migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)March 11, 2010

Are they in your area yet?

Should they be in your area any time soon? It looks like in the past few previous years that March 26th was the earliest in my area, but most of the time it is sometime in April.

There are also links at the link below to see how they migrated in past years, which is interesting. You can also use a form at the link below to report the first sighting in your area.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring 2010 Migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaybirdy(5north/central Illinois)

Sue,when you spot the hummingbirds in the Spring,how long do they stick around?Do you put out a feeder at that time?I only start to see them in late Summer when they are making their way back south.If I could help them in the Spring by putting out a feeder I would.When they arive in late Summer they spend quite a few weeks in my yard because I have a feeder and I grow every kind of hummingbird flower I can get my hands on.Actually,I put out more than one feeder because they are so territorial.Thanks for any imput.

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 4:17PM
graanieb

Great site, my daughter just asked me yesterday if I put hummer feeder up as she did, going to do it now, even if raining, we love little gems, think there should be site dedicated to hummingbirds..or is there?

many thanks again Sue.

GB Bea

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 9:08AM
graanieb

Spotted first one of the season this afternoon! Male ,ruby-throated, made a quick stop then about 10 minutes later on again on the other feeder, yaay!! But don't think they are same ones that were here as they ignored me, smile...home gems used to do happy dance with dips to greet me and express their joy of making it back, would do happy dance when their babies started flying....wish there was a way to track them, also wish they were banded, but main thing they are back. Weather to be around 40 on sat, as long as it doesn't freeze, but did think they'd wait a while.

Now off to mark the date on the map.

Bea in Belle Chasse La ( near New Orleans )

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 7:58PM
graanieb

Figured yesterday why hummers are shy this year, their "home"- largest tree around ( even after being about half ruined by Katrina ) was cut down last fall, they've counted to raise many more babies there, sure can a bit further, they'll get over it, lol

Have a large white verbena so far, getting red one tomorrow.

Anyone else has seen any??

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 11:53PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Thanks for posting the link, Sue. I look forward to watching the progress north every spring.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 4:29AM
karyn1(7a)

I don't see them until late June around here.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
HAVE : Different backgrounds and improved viewing of this site!
some of us gw webbers have been creating different...
leila hamaya
Wanted: Bush cucumber variety
I was hoping to find a type of cucumber I could plant...
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
HAVE: Newbie Seed Project 2015! packs available
the generous donations keep coming in. Right now, I...
bakemom_gw
WANTED: Galbanum seeds
I'm interested in seeds of aromatic “Galbanum,”...
ansarac951
Traders -> Now ANYONE can message you!
Go to https://www.houzz.com/editProfile Edit Profile...
phylis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™