Flower Bed Against A Fence

LeeAnneKMJuly 23, 2013

Hello!
I am planning on creating a bed against a shared "privacy" fence (staggered boards). Do I need to staple some type of landscape plastic or something to the boards to keep the earth retained on my side and not allow it to wash on to my neighbor's property through the fence?

If I really had my way, I would like to create a sloping bed up against the fence. How would this be done? Something to protect against the fence and then something to retain at the bottom to keep the earth in the bed and from washing down?

Many thanks....Lee Anne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

First, though we see it here all the time, recognize that using a fence as a retaining wall is a bad practice that, at the very least, tends to be unhealthy for the fence. It is best not to do this if there is any way to avoid it. If you want recommendations for other ways of handling the problem, submit a picture (not a close-up) that illustrates the conditions. You might also explain why you think it's necessary to raise the grade at the fence.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 12:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

It's a lot healthier for the fence to dig down and create a well-prepared groundlevel bed in front of the fence. Closely spaced plantings will quickly obscure the lower part of the fence without damaging it.

Fence area: new fence is up, but bed hasn't been dug yet.

A recent photo:

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™