Cheap vs. Expensive seeds

Night_Stalker(7a NYC)March 20, 2012

Is there any reason I should pay $2 for packs of seeds at the Gardening Store, instead of just paying 20� at Walmart?

I can understand if it's some fancy heirloom variety, but otherwise, is there any difference between cheap and expensive seeds? The seed count and the plant seem the same.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

I bought seeds at Walmart one year, and ever since, don't even look at the seed rack there. I had very poor germination rates from them compared to all the other brands I had. Could have been a fluke, but not worth my effort to find out.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 1:11PM
zzackey(8b GA)

I've had trouble with Ferry Morse seeds not being what was on the label and their plants don't produce like the label says they will. I only had 1/2 of the English peas come up this year. Very few seeds in the envie for $1.99. I bought more because they were half price last week. I don't like paying for shipping but the amount of seeds I got and the great germination rate I had really impressed me with the seeds I ordered from Richter's. You can always trade your extra seeds on here.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 2:03PM
Astroknot(10a)

I really only get seeds from Botanical Interests now. They're reliable, I know they're good seeds, and they also don't sell any GMOs. They can be on the pricey side depending on where you buy, but I know where I can find them for cheap (at the little hardware store down the street, which has an extensive collection of seeds surprisingly). But I get quality, and I care more about that in the long run.

Plus, I always have leftovers anyways. I rarely use up all the seeds in a Botanical Interests packet.

(I agree with Zackey about Ferry Morse -- I had a packet of Cosmos that clearly said they would be yellow and gold flowers, but they all came out purple and pink. Lame!)

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 3:41PM
booberry85(5)

I've had no trouble with the cheap seeds. I actually tested the cheap seeds compared to the same Burpee seed and got better germination rates with the cheap seeds. For variety, I do order seeds from a number of places: Botanical Interests, Bakers Creek, Seed Saver Exchange, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Fedco, Sandhill Preservation and Territorial Seeds.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 7:52AM
poisondartfrog

Ditto on Ferry Morse. I grew Zinnia's from them last year that were mislabled. When I complained to Ferry Morse, I got the run around about which department I should complain to, so no more Ferry Morse.
I have no problem with cheap seeds for something like ordinary marigold or zinnia varieties, but they don't typically offer any of the kind of seeds I am looking for.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
organizing your seeds
Ok. Another question from this newby. How do you oldtimer...
gardenmom2
Search Trade Lists
Any ideas how we search all trade lists for a specific...
shanon_
have: showy milkweed seeds for sase
Hi Everyone, We have a project to get as much milkweed...
nankeen
HAVE : Different backgrounds and improved viewing of this site!
some of us gw webbers have been creating different...
leila hamaya
HAVE: Have: Flower seeds (abundance of burgandy hollyhocks)
Hollyhock perennial seed collected June 2014. This...
frugal_gardening
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™