What to plant in front of boxwood's?

katrina_ellenJuly 1, 2011

I moved into a house last year that had boxwood bushes in the front yard, placed in a row parallel to the deck in the front of the house. I really like boxwood because it is slow growing and stays neat looking along the deck. The problem is they planted spirea bushes in front of the boxwoods which grow fast and are always taking the light from the boxwoods until I give them a good pruning twice a year. I love the color combo of the boxwood with the yellow-green of the spirea, but I think something that stays low and grows slow would work out better. I would like something that is either a yellow green or a burgandy. The area is west facing and gets mostly sun. I appreciate any suggestions you have - I am new to landscaping and not very familiar with the options. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eblin(7a)

How about some yellow-ish grasses? They would add color and a beautiful contrast in leaf shape/texture.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 7:22PM
katrina_ellen

eblin, thanks, I never considered a grass. I was just thinking today that I would like something that would contrast and be different than the bush's. When I was thinking about another bush of some sort it seemed like it was too much the same, then I thought some type of perennial may work better, but never thought of grass's. I will certainly consider that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 7:59PM
anitamo(5)

If you go with the grass idea, look into blues and yellows...like hakone grass or blue oats grass. They'll both stay shorter than the boxwoods and the colors will complement each other well.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 10:03AM
katrina_ellen

Thanks anitamo, will put this on my list to check out.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 10:41PM
marcinde(7)

I second the hakonechloa, if your local garden center feels you'll have success (it can be temperamental).

btw, just in case you ever run into a big-time boxwood geek, the plural of boxwood is boxwood. I thought I was going to get my ears boxed (ha!) for not knowing that once.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
Help with small retaining wall
I am starting to landscape my yard and am having trouble...
jminternelia
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Feedback on my design/plans?
In a previous thread I asked for general suggestions...
Kristin
Trying to design a border in front of elevated deck
I want to plant several shrubs in front of my elevated...
northraleighguy
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Sponsored Products
Darlee Glass Top Square End Patio Table
$150.95 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Organica Natural 3 ft. x 5 ft.
Home Depot
Red Hibiscus Lawn Stake
$13.99 | zulily
Nexus LED Swivel Landscape Light by Hinkley Lighting
$154.44 | Lumens
Spot Oil Rubbed Bronze Spotlight
$34.20 | Bellacor
Urban Garden Plant Bag Set of 3 by Authentics
$96.60 | Lumens
Cedar Spiral/ Urn
Overstock.com
Rose Candleabrum Silk Flower Arrangement