Help trying to fix my parents house appeal

bachdonJuly 26, 2014

Ive been searching through the forum and am astonished at the amount of help many of you have given to others and was hoping you may be able to help me and my wife revitalize my parents house, that we are taking over since their divorce. I unfortunately am horrible with design ideas and hoping you can help. The house is on 6 acres of slowly elevating land, up until the house with no shading.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Would you like us to show it to you upside down? I'm thinking a pier on that lake would be nice..........

JK, but my head won't turn that way.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:58PM
lazy_gardens

here you go ... lake-be-gone worked!!!!

Where is the picture taken from? the road?

Is this the front of the house or the back deck?

How much gardening and work do you want to do?

Is this for resale or you living in it?

Where is the house - city and state?

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 5:07PM
bachdon

Sorry, about the pic not sure what happened.. Harrisburg, PA. Picture is taken 40yds from front of the house, before a drastic downhill slope. This is the front of the house. Currently all work will be for live-in purposes. However house could be up for potential sale by 2017. (Parents are divorced in decree have 3 years to either refinance mortgage to my wife and i or my father sell the property). Im willing to do as much work as necessary to make this look nice, because currently the exterior is not attractive and rather unkept and plain.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 11:31PM
yardvaark

For basic planting, you might start with a hedge surrounding the deck (covering the lattice) flowering shrubs below the windows, some flowering perennial around the house corners, annuals at the steps and trees flanking the house at a diagonal to its corners. It's a start. The colors are not suggestions of actual colors to use. I have a suspicion that more trees would be useful in the foreground and at the sides of the house.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:08AM
lazy_gardens

I would make a sitting area between deck and street ... then add some plantings or arbors for shade and privacy and to get rid of the pool table effect.

A small grove of trees (whatever is appropriate for the area) leading from the corner of the lot towards the house (informally spaced) would break up the pool table.

Finish the fence, redo the slope with something that doesn't need mowing or muvh maintenance (native shrubs, evergreens, daylilies, etc.)

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:11AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Dimensional shingles for the facade dominating roof and removing the obviously fake because they are very much undersized shutters would do as much or more for the house as any landscaping. Beef up the window trim (and supportive posts) instead of shutters. And do the shed porch roof in a complimentary metal.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Concrete or Pavers
Hey guys, So I've started the process of having contractors...
jplee3
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™