The Final Reveal

Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9bJuly 15, 2014

Good Morning!

Took me awhile to get the time to upload pictures.

This was a 5 step process.

Step 1. Needed ideas, and the original thread is here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg011630204493.html

Step 2. Get Bids and choose Contractors

Step 3. Concrete Contractor finishes his part

Step 4. Staining and Restoration Contractor finishes his part.

Step 5. Plant and finish surrounding areas.

The putting green had to wait because of all the concrete workers. Front yard connects it all!

This is the part that connects to the newly stained patio

And the entire thing.

With 1.5 acres, we may never get done, but we were very pleased with the outcome and prices we received from all the contractors involved. At the very end, we are going to put a flagstone path to nowhere with low green groundcover. That area at the end is simply the top of the waterfall that falls into the pool.

Thanks to you all for your input!
Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

I forgot to mention the putting green is not real grass! Low maintenance and drought friendly!

If you want to see all the steps they did for the putting green you can follow the link to pinterest below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steps in the Putting Green Installation

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 12:48PM
violetwest

awesome! so glad you're happy with it and shared the reveal

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 1:23PM
yardvaark

Looks good. Which came first ... the design of the paving ... or the putting green?

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 2:38PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

The putting green was always in the back of our minds. We got bids on that first, but because of the heavy equipment of the concrete dudes, their designs came next, and they were hired first. We didn't want them trashing our new green with all their heavy equipment.

Both the concrete contractor and the concrete restoration contractor met with us together to make sure everybody was on the same page prior to starting the job. The putting green dude was not needed at that meeting.

The restoration dude wanted the new concrete to be brush finished because his stain would stick better. He showed us several finishes, and we chose random stone shapes taped off, with about 5 different stain colors and a light sprinkle of glitter coat (our granite rocks here always glitter in the sun).

Concrete has to cure one month, so we had to wait for it to cure prior to starting the stain process.

Once the hard-scape was all done, the putting green was re-measured, price finalized, and work began. If you looked at my Pinterest link, you saw that "creeping elegance" set in, and we extended the green to the edges of the yard AFTER the green was done.

Surrounding the putting green and at one end are semi-dwarf blood orange citrus trees (two varieties), and a few roses. In time, they will be larger and more noticeable. They all have real mulch close to them, and for aesthetics, rubber mulch that is a nice dark brown color.

Hope that answers your questions.

Suzi

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 3:10PM
yardvaark

Thanks for the background info. It was interesting.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™