question???

lindaruzicka(Z6 PA)March 25, 2008

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but if it isn't, I'm sure someone will direct me to the proper one.

Amyways, I would like to know what is the best way to remove grass and prepare a 17' by 36' area for gardening? Do I till the grass under? Rip it out? Stomp on it?...I've had gardens before but I've never had to deal with such a big grassy area. The smaller areas I have I can just dig up and put down new soil but I'm not quite sure what kind of tool to use for this bugger. Thanks!

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I'm sure you will likely get responses listing a variety of ways...some maybe better for you than others.

That is a pretty good sized bed. If it was me, I would mark it off with stakes and string. I would then use a total kill Round-up (or its generic Glysophate available a lot cheaper at Farm Supply stores). I would give that maybe 1 1/2 --2 weeks to work its magic. I would then repeat the spaying on any sign of green left, and give it another 1-2 weeks. By then It should be pretty well killed off, and then I would till, and amend with whatever is handy...well rotted manure, peat moss, compost, maybe some sand just depending upon your soil. Mine is clay here.

I would then plant, Preen (or it's generic) water that in, and mulch well....maybe putting layers of newspaper under the mulch. That should be a well prepped fairly maintenance free (of weeds and grasses) for a good long time.

next....

Sue

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 12:44PM
SusanC(9b/10a Sunset 17)

If you can get ahold of enough cardboard, you could use the "instant bed" method.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instant beds

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 2:58PM
lindaruzicka(Z6 PA)

hmm...I read the link on instant beds and I have ALOT of access to cardboard...I may have to consider that. Also I discovered that my neighbors (we just moved here last April) have been dumping all their leaves and grass clippings in piles in the woods behind my house. I poked around in them and the soil looks great..guess I'll be tending to some compost piles too!

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 3:57PM
agirlsgirl(6 SW-PA)

Good one Susan! I was going to link her to that one myself! :) I am giving that one a go myself this year,I am also trying Lasgana gardens,I figure if it is working for so many,it must be a good thing!

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
Have Commercial seed for trade
All offered seeds are commercial, most will arrive...
Frances Coffill
wanted: daylily seeds
Looking for daylily seeds. I have sarracenia rhizomes...
ericmd01
hardy hibiscus
Does anyone have hardy hibiscus seeds they would share...
Sophie Harding
Not giving up yet
Hi , look at my trade list ,if you have something I...
tergrov
wanting Armenian Cucumber
Does anyone have this to trade? I have other veggie...
jen_frazier
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™