Spacing of patio pavers

aloha2009July 28, 2013

Does anyone know the most comfortable spacing of pavers for a path? I'd like a narrow walkway anywhere from 24-36" wide with spacing between the pavers for ground cover.

Is there a formula that if I use an 18" paver, the recommendation is to have 4" between the pavers (I want some space for ground cover). I'm open for sizing of the paver but wanted some guidelines to work with.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

I don't use segmented paving (not saying I never will) but if I did, the first thing I'd make sure was that the stride was right for the intended purpose. How will people walk on this path ... like they're getting from point A to point B? Or like they are purposely lollygagging? Whatever the most likely speed of walking, I'd figure out the measurement of the stride and match the paver spacing to it. (Walk that speed, mark where your toe hits, and measure the distance from toe to toe. You might make several tries and cross reference them.) Doing it this way, you will not constantly be annoyed at how the pavers don't correspond to the actual walking.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 1:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aloha2009

The path will be a straight no nonsense path from our main patio to the firepit. We'll have hydrangeas on one side and some kind of bush (possibly spireas, evergreens, phlox or whatever on the sunny side.Though it's a secondary path, it will be quite visible from the main patio so I need to have it look very pretty. I've never been fond of segmented paving (never heard that term before) but it seems like the best thing for this application.

I will take your suggestion one step further and test different height individuals for . I'll check myself (5'3"), my DH (5'8") and SIL(6'1") and hopefully there ends up being a small range that seems appropriate.

Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™