First harvest of something edible.

AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)May 11, 2014

Just wanted to share the first harvest of spinach from the garden. Next will be snap peas and lettuce. So excited!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Very Nice. congrats on first harvest.
My spinach is about ready. I am going to let it grow another week. We are going to have warm 8 to 10 days ahead.

Yeah, I have a dozen or so of snap peas but they don't even have flowers yet. Next come corn salad and lettuce.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:04AM
ltilton

Asparagus is always first here, by a long stretch.

But yesterday I picked the first lettuce and spinach thinnings. Ate them, too.

This really opens the season for me, more than the asparagus.

Next, I see some broccoli heads starting, and a couple of bok choy are big enough to pick for a stir fry.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 10:07AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Congrats! We've been having aspargus, overwintered kale, and green garlic pretty regularly for a couple of weeks. Looks like radish and broccoli will be next to be ready, and then likely the lettuce, beets, turnips and peas will come all at once. Then will be the big wait until summer crops start giving us their goodness!

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 10:59AM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

Egyptian onions are always my first harvest in spring. They're harvested as soon as the ground is thawed (usually in March). Well before asparagus starts showing up.

Rodney

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 11:21AM
galinas

I start a flat of lettuce indoors and transplant it outside pretty early under agribon cover , so now the heads, well, are about a head size)

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 11:56AM
AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)

Seysonn, do you harvest all your spinach at once?I have just been harvesting older leaves and leaving the plant to continue to produce.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 5:20PM
woohooman

Nice aili! I think I may put spinach on the "don't grow anymore" list though. Too much space for the amount I get. Love it though. I just wish I had more space. :(

Kevin

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 5:44PM
glib(5.5)

Ha! I have been harvesting dandelion and sorrel for three weeks, nettles for a couple of weeks, garlic shoots for a month, asparagus for a week, and today I picked a couple of overwintered chicory heads. But I am quite the adaptable guy. The nettles have a day or two when the plants are large enough but the stems are still soft. The fava greens are this close to be ready, and they better be because the tomatoes taking their place are ready to go (lilacs are blooming).

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 6:31PM
AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)

Glib, lilacs are fading here :)

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 6:46PM
Deeby

From sunny California, so far only one strawberry. Sheesh.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 9:06PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Seysonn, do you harvest all your spinach at once?I have just been harvesting older leaves and leaving the plant to continue to produce.
%%%%%%%%%
I will harvest by pulling the bigger ones. Don't have a whole lot of it. I want to plant Swiss chard in its place. I am growing the chard in pots now. I like chards more than spinach. They won't bolt here easily . especially in partial sun.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 1:00AM
glib(5.5)

Very strange season. Flowering pears are blooming now, about 3 weeks late. Asparagus was one week late. But lilac is early by a few days. Obviously, after a terrible winter we had a warmer than usual spring, with decent rains.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 11:37AM
Mindyw3(5)

We've had bok choy, which all bolted last week. :/. Corn salad is also all done. And we've been picking scallions and pea shoots here and there. One round of radishes already too. Lost all my spinach when I had to move the garden beds. Still waiting for a warm up to get everything else in the ground!!

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 12:00PM
Agrilicious

Looking for something you couldn't fit into your own garden. Check out what your local farmers have available. Visit Agrilicious and find what you can source locally. #allthingslocalfood

Here is a link that might be useful: Agilicious.org

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 5:01PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

O" ! them bok Choys. They bolt faster than you can say "AH". :D
Even here in PNW, with some of the coolest spring weather, they bolt in no time. NEVER again Bok Choy for me.
I am growing Corn Salad instead, plus Swiss Chard and Butter head (bibb) lettuce. And my spinach is ready.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 8:20PM
ltilton

I got a variety from Johnny's, supposed to stand the heat. Mei Qing Choi. I like the look of them at the moment. But I do notice one plant that's a darker green than the rest, bet it's another variety got into the wrong packet. I may take that one first.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 8:40PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I will harvest (pull) all my spinach this week. I just transplanted whole bunch of Swiss Chard. They have better texture than spinach, can grow much bigger and won't bolt as readily. And nice color too.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 5:33AM
ltilton

I just started harvesting the thinnings this week. I'm betting on a cold spring, despite the occasional heat spell, and I planted lots of the stuff. But I like spinach and will take all I can get.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 10:24AM
Mindyw3(5)

Seriously!! I love bok choy but man is it a PITA! Literally the day I said "I think I should pick those, they might bolt soon". Went out to have a look and sure enough, flower stalks on every single last one. I think I'll try a fall planting and next spring plant them denser and pick them small. They never get passed medium size without bolting anyway.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 12:06PM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

Mindy, bok choy is one of those things that only work as a fall crop. Spring-planted, as you say, bolts and gets tough very quickly. In your zone, I'd direct-seed it outside in mid to late August.
It can be covered with a low tunnel to prolong the fall harvest period but it is not as hardy as kale or spinach. Harvest it before night temperatures drop below the mid-20s.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 12:15PM
ltilton

Here's some of my Mei Qing Choi, ready to pick as baby choi, which is how I like it. The one on the right seems to be a different kind, so I'll probably pick it first, today.

I don't know how long all these will stand, but it's sure been a cold spring.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Giant Noble Spinach
I started this variety in my grow closet (which is...
thedudefrom1976
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™