Harvesting Okinawa's from Container Garden

phanSeptember 19, 2011

Hi wasn't sure if I should post this here or the asian veggie forum so decided to post here. :D

I started my okinawa sweet potatoes in late May and I'm not sure when I should harvest them (actually tomorrow will be 4 months). I'm in Maryland.

Oh and after I harvest them from the containers, should I leave them in the garage in a loose bin for a few weeks? I've read different things on the web and I'm not sure what to do. I heard that curing should be in the 80 degree range but my garage is like 50-60 degree (depending on the weather). So should I cure them a different way?

thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dancinglemons(7B VA)

Hello phan,

I am not a sweet potato expert but have grown sweet potato several times. I always place mine on an old screen door placed over some folding chairs so they get air top and bottom. The screen door is wood and has old screen still in top and bottom. This is on my side porch which is about 60 degrees when the sweets are harvested. I leave them there about one week then store them in a burlap bag. If you put them in a loose bin right after digging -- they might start to rot because they are not cured and will still be damp.

Here is a link -- the information is old (1920's) but the man who wrote this was a sweet potato expert and also invented lots of other stuff. Go down the page to How to cure and store the sweet potato. See link below.

Cheers,
DL

Here is a link that might be useful: How the farmer can save his sweet potatoes

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 2:49AM
More Discussions
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™