Agressively spreading lilac

bananastandJuly 1, 2013

I never thought lilac was a poorly behaved shrub, but I'm finding that mine is getting a bit crazy. When we bought the house in 2007, there was a healthy lilac bush next to the front steps. It used to be surrounded by grass that got mowed. However that was in a difficult steep area and I ultimately decided to landscape that whole side of the house with native plants and mulch.

What I have noticed is that anywhere there is no plant cover to compete, the lilac sends up new branches and stems like crazy. I mean huge, bushy new growth every year. I feel like my lilac is trying to take over that whole area!

Is this common or is mine acting weirdly? There is only one thing I can think of that might have happened.... there used to be a honeysuckle growing right in with the lilac. I pulled it out the best I could and killed the remaining with roundup, but I remember when doing that it almost seemed like the honeysuckle was grafted onto the lilac. I was able to kill it, but I'm just wondering if some of the honeysuckle's aggressiveness was bred into my lilac and it's a crazy cross of some kind?

I know that makes no sense.... but it's all I got! So tell me, is this normal behavior for a lilac? Anything I can do other than hack it back each year to keep it in check?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Yes, it is reasonably normal behavior for a lilac.

Your choices are basically:
A) kill the entire lilac
B) hack it back regularly when it invades place you don't want it
C) let the lilac expand until it hits lawn again.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 2:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Lilacs are what are commonly referred to as "caning shrubs" or those that produce new stem growth (canes) from the root crown and even from major lateral roots. No single trunk (although they can trained in this manner). The behavior of your lilac is entirely normal.

Other shrubs which have this same growth habit include forsythia, weigela, beautyberry (kolkwitzia), spiraea, shrub dogwoods, Japanese kerria and hydrangeas. The spread with which they expand is variable. IME, lilac is one of the more aggressive spreaders.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Feedback on my design/plans?
In a previous thread I asked for general suggestions...
Kristin
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
Sponsored Products
DENY Designs Shannon Clark Pretty Peacock Outdoor Throw Pillow - 16082-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Ambiance Hammered Copper LED Small Domed Cylindrical Outdoor Wall Sconce with Cl
$288.00 | Bellacor
Brazo Table Task Lamp by Pablo Designs
$440.00 | Lumens
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Modesto Splash Brown 5 ft. 3
$78.97 | Home Depot
15753BBR Bronzed Brass 12.4 Watts Wide Kichler LED Landscape Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
WAC Lighting | Dune 826LED Low Voltage Track Lighting
$108.00 | YLighting
Modernist Rays Suspension Light Large
ModernistLighting.com
Lilac Wood Print Shade Ovo Table Lamp