odd zucchini plant?

mandimarie88May 19, 2012

I have 2 yellow zucchini plants growing in a raised garden bed. I noticed about a week or so ago that it started developing what looked like zucchini, but no flowers had started to develop yet. I had little yellow grows (about 5 on each plant) growing. Within the last week flowers have developed and within the last 3 days the males have started to bloom. I'm a little confused as to why the yellow growth would grow before the flowers...are these indeed zucchinis that i see? I know it is a zucchini plant. I am very confused as to whether or not this is normal. I have never seen this before.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope(6)

What you saw were the female flower buds. They have a swollen base and those look like little miniature zucchini. It's how you tell the male from the female flowers. I've posted a link below. You'll have to scroll down to about mid-page but I think you'll see something like you have seen in your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: zucchini flowers and buds

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 1:01AM
mandimarie88

I forgot to mention, this is my first time growing zucchini on my own. I live on my own now and I always use to help my mom in her garden. I'm not sure if I show snip off these little ones, or let them grow. There are a lot of them so maybe just cut a few?

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 1:01AM
mandimarie88

Thank you for the link, that is exactly what I have on my plants. I guess my mom was right haha. Thank you for your help

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 8:42PM
calliope(6)

You're more than welcome. So, don't cut any of them off, OK? Remember to pick them young and tender and don't go for big is better. My MIL used to grow her's to the size of ball bats and it was like trying to eat a ball bat too.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Plastic hardware cloth
How easily can critters chew through it?
hairmetal4ever
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
hand pollinate broccolini?
Thanks to you guys, I realized that I bought Broccoli...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
I don't remember what I planted.
This is my first year gardening and I can't seem to...
riggem
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™