Big weed?

Hman714May 17, 2012

I've been picking at these seedlings off and on for over a year. Maybe it's time to find out what they actually are. = )

It grows everywhere around my house, got into my vegetable beds too (which I don't know how). The starter leaves are huge, which makes me think it could be a tree -- or a big bush at least. It grows really quickly, but I haven't found the courage to let it grow.

Could anyone tell me what this could be? A family member told me it could be Castor Bean -- but how? I don't know.

I live in So Cal.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

It certainly resembles a castor bean seedling, but then again this being the vegetable forum it also really looks like an okra seedling. Castor beans are poisonous if you didn't know. If you let the plant get bigger it would be easier to identify. Also there is a forum on here called Name that Plant! full of people who love to identify stuff like this.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 7:07AM
rockguy(7a)

Looks like castor to me too.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 7:08AM
Deborah-SC(8a)

Take it to your local agricultural extension office. They will be able to tell you what it is. My local office lets me email photos to them. See if yours will. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 8:48AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

I feel like the cotyledons don't look like Castor to me. Some sort of hibiscus? Be curious to know if you ever do find out. Cheers!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™