Mystery purple plant - vegetable or weed?

Hman714May 12, 2012

This have been growing in several of my vegetable garden beds and not anywhere else. I don't recall planting any herbs like this before in these beds last year. Could also be from the homemade compost that I used as my compost probably didn't get hot enough to kill all the seeds.

So could someone please help me identify this thing? It's growing really fast. Leave it or pull?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

It's some form of amaranth. Could be a weed species, but the purple pigmentation suggests that it is possibly one of the cultivated ornamental/edible varieties. Whether weed or domestic, it is edible as raw or cooked green, may have attractive flowers, and would produce edible seeds eventually.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 6:50AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Agree with Deninmi, amaranth of some sort. If you don't want millions next year, either remove it before it sets seeds or collect the seedheads. Cheers!

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 10:31AM
Hman714

Thank you both for the insight! I've been weeding this for 2 weeks and they don't seem to be coming back; so they must be valuable. = )

Just potted the last of them, so I'll wait and see if they look like all the Amaranth pictures I'm seeing.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
ancient
this news just in-23 year old lettuce seeds do not...
davids10 z7a nv.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™