Onions going to seed

neptune24May 18, 2012

A few weeks ago, I asked how to tell when onions are ready to be harvested, and I was told that the tops will die. Well, what if they start going to seed first? Some of my onions are doing that. Should I pinch off the seed heads? Thanks for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnbrown

Pinch them if you want to maximize bulb growth. Though once they have bolted the bulb will not get much larger. If they are planted pretty close I would pull the bolters and eat them to give more space to the others.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 7:20AM
shermthewerm

The same thing is happening to a few of my onions. From what I could find by googling it, sounds like it's caused from erratic temperatures (which is almost always the case in Portland, OR this time of year). Also, it's definitely not a good thing, as onions aren't supposed to flower, and you might as well use them now (as PNbrown suggests).

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:59AM
allhaileris

Mine are flowering right now because of the temp fluctuations (I'm in NorCal). The previous renters planted them, so I don't care that they're not being prolific, but they're total duds. I pulled a couple out to see what they looked like, which was giant green onions. Kept them out to dry for a few days and somebody who isn't allergic to them cracked it open, no good at all. I'll just keep them until they finish flowering and have somebody pull them all for me. This was my exact question a week or so ago.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 12:55PM
neptune24

Thanks for the helpful responses, pnbrown, shermthewerm, and allhaileris.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 7:45AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Somewhere in the far reaches of my mind I remember reading someplace long ago that one could double over the onion stalks in the middle and abate this flowering process.

Do you recall this from somewhere?

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 3:33PM
neptune24

Sounds interesting, albert_135. :)

I pulled up one of my "bolted" onions, and there was no bulb to speak of.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 8:17AM
More Discussions
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
ancient
this news just in-23 year old lettuce seeds do not...
davids10 z7a nv.
Has anyone tried to find their old comments?
I just went looking and it appears that GW/Houzz has...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™