Lettuce

springleavesMay 18, 2012

I'm building a raised bed garden for my lettuce, collard and kale. The structure is not quite complete, but I've started the seedlings in rapid rooter plugs in a plastic tray. It sits outside growing under shade cloth in partial sun. The collard and kale seedlings have great color and new growth, but the lettuce seems to heading downhill. The "oldest" of the lettuce seedlings were a very pretty light green, but recently they have been slowly losing color and some are a pale whitish color now. Have they outgrown the rapid rooter plug and plastic tray? Should they have been transplanted into the potting soil mix weeks ago?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dhromeo

Probably. How old are the seedlings? Make sure you expose them to direct sunlight for longer durations for a few days leading up to transplant day.

I've never used plugs but my experience has been that my beggies started in 72 cell trays outgrow their space fast. For every inch of top growth, there is double the amount of root growth.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 8:03AM
ltilton

Transplanted and fed, probably.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:18AM
springleaves

Thank you for your replies.

Chris CL - I staggered the seed planting, but the oldest is about 6 weeks old, then every two weeks thereafter. Measuring from the leafy part only, the oldest is 3 inches tall. Does it sound sunlight and nutrient-deprived to you.

ltilton - Yes, I hope to transplant them faster, since my raised bed is almost ready for planting. You know, the lady at the seed store asked me how many leaves do my lettuce have and I told her 4 true leaves.. Then she told me to wait to transplant until I have 6. When do I determine the right time to transplant?

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 11:19PM
dhromeo

Perhaps, the shade cloth is really unnecessary if they emerge in full strength, full day length sunlight.

once it gets 2-3 true leaves, you should fertilize very weakly, and move to full sun. Direct seeded lettuce does fine in full sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Unforecasted late frost
I'm pretty much a newbie. I transplanted a yellow...
Katie Gooding
Identifying garden pests
Dear Experts Could you figure what type of pests are...
zillah2004
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
Problem Peas - germination
Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting peas...
Steve Kind
Sponsored Products
Lettuce Knife
$6.99 | zulily
Accent Rug: Somerset Bay Lettuce Leaf 2' x 3'
Home Depot
Escape Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$766.80 | Bellacor
Runner Rug: Somerset Bay Lettuce Leaf 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Accent Rug: Somerset Bay Lettuce Leaf 2' x 3'
Home Depot