Freeze tonight

SmokyMist(7 East TN)April 14, 2008

Yeah it's coming again. It was 82 last Friday. The last time the weatherman called for a frost a week or so ago I am so thankful I covered things up because we got a hard frost and my mother lost some of her plants.

Now they are calling for a FREEZE tonight. I went out last night ( when they were calling for patchy frost) and covered everything up with sheets ( like 50 sheets no kidding). it's rained this morning, so what has happened ? all my sheets are wet.

will the wet sheets damage my plants when it freezes ? Will I have to go out, gather up all those sheets, dry them and put them back out ? I will if I have to..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaleeisa(6b Oklahoma)

I think so since the wet sheets would leave any foliage you have up very vulnerable, if nothing else I would imagine you'd get frostburn on any green you've got up.

Kathy

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 12:07PM
sassybutterfly_2008(7 NorthWest GA)

I'm with you! My yard looks very.... strange... like Halloween ghosts gone striped/flowered and paisley! (old sheets covering all my prize posessions up!)

Back in Feb when I did the same sheet cover up and it snowed, I left the sheets on the plants for 3 days and they were just fine. HOWEVER, they were not SOAKING wet either, just damp'ish and during the day the wind would pretty much dry them up. Personally if the sheets are very wet, I hate to say it but I wouldn't chance it. :(

Good luck to you!!

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 12:10PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Maybe just run em through the spin cycle. I wonder if you did that, and then put them back out, if they would just dry themselves enough b4 night time.

Hmmm...glad you said something. I have several different named lilacs that have a couple of blooms for the first time ever this year...including a yellow one I got in trade 4 years ago. guess I too will cover at least some special stuff, and tie the pup, or keep her in for the night. I'm sure she would just drag to covers off if allowed to be loose...sigh.

Sue

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 1:15PM
More Discussions
pawpaw seeds and pecan tree seeds
I live in the South of France. I have seeds of olive...
delwardeinfrance83
Need vege seeds to get me started
In search of vegetable seeds. Kale,spinach,radishes,etc...
dkkemp
HAVE: seed - will trade for post cards
if you are looking for seed but have little trade I...
woodsidetrader
WANTED: Kulli Black Incan Corn
Since corn is prone to inbreeding depression, I'm looking...
EricaBraun
NEWBIE ALERT! How do I get started when I have no seeds to trade ?
Anyone just want to share seeds for a SASE??
Mechelle Dunn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™