Fertiliser burn?

jesshornMay 18, 2012

Hi, About a week ago and a half ago I planted lots of new plants into my prepared vegetable plots. This is the second year I have used this space and have rotivated all of the crops etc.

Many of the new plants now have an appearance of the leaves having been burnt and I have already lost one squash and the aubergines are looking decidedly sad.

The only thing I have done different this year is that when planting I put some organic fertiliser granules in under the plants. Could this be fertiliser burn? If so should I move the plants? It seems to be happening to lots of the plants.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks, Jess x

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dhromeo

No, it is more likely sun burn. The same thing is happening to my plants, a couple of my tomatoes and peppers, they grow out of it.

Were they under weaker light before transplanting?

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 7:44AM
Edymnion(7a)

Describe the burn.

Fertilizer burn is going to usually just look like the tips of the leaves are dying (turning brown and crispy). Sunburn is going to look like the leaves are turning white but otherwise fine.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:43AM
jesshorn

Yes they look like they are turning white. I brought them at a local nursery and didn't know i should harden them off first. It was pretty hot when I first put them out. It has cooled down now so hopefully they will recover? Should I remove burnt leaves? Thanks for your replies.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 10:08AM
jesshorn

Do sunburnt plants usually come up burnt straight away or is it sometimes a delayed reaction?

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™