pussy willow bush

jerome69(6)April 10, 2010

planted (3) pussy willow bushes last fall.something trimmed them down.do you have to protect them with mesh over winter.is it rabbits or deer or both ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rbrady(5/Eastern Ia)

I protect mine with chicken wire. Rabbits and squirrels are the culprits in my area.

Rhonda

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 9:53PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

My puppy dogs will prune smaller trees and shrubs. I often protect 'special' things with either a small fence cage, or even just a tomato cage. A small dogwood volunteer that I liked exactly where it had sprung up, has recently been severely pruned. It will be getting a fence cage in the near future and hopefully it will come out of the kinks.

Sue

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 5:19AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I protect my pussy willow bush every winter with chicken wire due to rabbits eating the bark off, girding, the lower part of the bush. It has to be protected quite a ways up as they will eat anything above snow cover. Also protect other bushes, mock orange, hydrangea, elderberry, etc that get stem pruned by rabbits and deer. The chicken wire surrounds the small bush and clothes pins keep plastic netting over the top.

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Newbie Seed Project 2015! packs available
the generous donations keep coming in. Right now, I...
bakemom_gw
Have: Fr Marigolds, Grandpa Ott
Have French marigolds multicolored Queen Sofia, Grandpa...
gardenlover77. zn6 NY
Good news! Trade lists are back!
If you check someone's profile page, you will see a...
Tamara
hardy hibiscus
Does anyone have hardy hibiscus seeds they would share...
Sophie Harding
Requests for Houzz
Houzz, Please fix your app for smartphones to allow...
kchd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™