help w/ front beds . . .disheveled

dentiphileJuly 9, 2014

Hi all,

Great forums!

I wanted to get some thoughts about my front beds. I was getting sick of the mulch so added a bunch of periwinkle ground cover. I had a lot of bulbs planted before also (daffodils, tulips) as well as a flowering dogwood. Any thoughts on what I can do to make it a "wow" factor! any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dentiphile

more pics

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 4:43PM
dentiphile

thanks!

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 4:44PM
yardvaark

I see recommendations given here pushing variety over simplicity, based on the general principle that greater variety provides greater interest. I think that nearly the opposite is true. Simplicity provides clarity and visual strength. 10 small things might say "wow" -- if one is taking the time to ponder each one separately. But collectively they say "let's all scream at once and see if anyone can figure out what we're trying to say!" With landscaping, it's generally the overall message that means something so "wow" generally comes in fewer LARGE statements instead many small ones ... clean, distinct, pleasing shapes and forms being much more important than having more things.

I would not place things that will get higher than a few inches between the drive and the front lawn. As the plants grow, it will make the driveway seem corralled instead of roomy. Keep shrubs there consolidated ... they could could go in islands at each end of the bed so the linear barricade doesn't happen.

I think the bed needs a little re-shaping in order not to seem odd where it is supposed to be accommodating the small tree. They should fit together well. And, of course, use fewer plant types. I think single, large masses of color say a lot more than little bits of it all over the place. I hope the picture helps explain the general concept.

(Over the long term a solid bed of groundcover is more practical and better looking than a bed of mulch, so that's a good move.)

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 8:35PM
dentiphile

Great look! What plants are in your plan? I'm zone 6

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 9:13PM
yardvaark

I'm using what you already have. Other than the groundcover, I don't know what they are.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 9:30PM
emmarene

The structure itself provides wow factor. You are just used to your house so you don't notice it. That being said, I like what Yardvark provided for you but if you choose not to do it you will still have a lovely home.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Raised Garden Bed Construction Help
Hello Everyone! What wonderful help! I've built about...
Garden Chickee
scary house help
Trying to help someone with this- yipes. I'm thinking...
hightide102
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Sponsored Products
Two Additional Standard 200TC Pillowcases
$43.90 | Horchow
Hudson Street Back To Nature 7 pc. Comforter Set - Blue - 2002579
$88.97 | Hayneedle
Rainbow Geometric Maze Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Floral Rust and Brown 20-Inch Cotton Decorative Pillow
$70.00 | Bellacor
Kichler Bronze LED 35 Degree Landscape Accent Light
Lamps Plus